What size brisket and butt do you prefer?

jtfisher63

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am curious what size briskets and butts you guys prefer to cook and why. At home I've been cooking 10lb butts and only cook brisket at comps(one of my partners does the brisket mostly). At comps I have used 8 lbrs and 6 lbrs. As far as briskets go, we cook about 7 lb flats. Is there any benefit to going bigger or smaller? We primarily cooked flats because of space, but now we have a cooker dedicated to just brisket so we could go with large packers if we wanted to. I'm looking for what you guys do and why. Thanks.

Jason

I cook 10-12 # packers. Pretty easy for me to dial in time and temp for those.

I rarely see butts around here bigger than 8 lbs or so, so thats what I cook. When i can find packers I like them to be 10 - 12 lbs.

I cook 10-12 # packers. Pretty easy for me to dial in time and temp for those.

Agree, I usually go with a 13# packer and by the time I trim it up it's 10 pounds. This is what I cook. Pork butts I don't go smaller than 9# for the same reason.

I like big butts and I can not lie... I like 'em round, and big... Baby got back!

Sir Mix-a-Lot Mod.

Richard's raps don't rhyme.

Pass it on...

I have a good selection of bone-in butts in the 7# range and try to get brisket above 10#. Sam's is cool enough to hold some back or let me roam through the cases to get ones the same size.

BrisketLabel.jpg

I cooked 5 briskets Sunday and separated the points before cooking. Actually more of a square cut instead of following the actual muscle line. I was very pleased with the results. The flats were a 7-1/2 hour drum cook.

I like a 5 - 7 lb flat myself, just because it doesn't take 20 hours to cook.

As for butts, I'm partial to about 120 lbs, 5'2" and blonde.

Butts I get run 7-8 pounds, and the briskets run 10-14. I just order and pickup whatever size they give me.

Once you go asian you never go back. Papa has a pet anaconda?

7-8 pounds cuz I don't have 3 farkin days to cook something...

As big as I can get them. Everything has been running a little small lately.

Richard's raps don't rhyme.

Pass it on...
My raps are rhythmically challenged, but Haiku and verse in iambic pentameter is much more my style

To q or not to q (tonight), that is the question

I like my butts (bone-in) in the 7-9# range and packers 12 and up

Last edited:
I've been cooking 13-15 lbs briskets.

As for pork I been cooking whole shoulders 18 to 22 lbs.

I'm with Joe... as big as you can get. I would love to go with two 11 pound butts and two 15 pound three inch thick packers!!!

I did pick up a butt the other day that was 13 pounds!!!

Back