Thighs

Well, that sucks! I didn't burn 'em but they're darker than I would have liked! Should have removed the cover on the Weber kettle I think... or closed down the lower vents... forgot about those to be honest! Anyway, they're glazed and sealed in an aluminum pan on the BSKD now for about an hour or two. Not sure how long it'll take for the skin to not be rubbery at all.

Let me try this again: Did you use a sauce with tomato and sugar when you covered them and put them back on the heat? Guaranteed to go dark on ya.

A lot depends on how long they are covered and steaming.

Don't ask me how I know. :twisted: Though I never did this at a competition.

Okay, hoqw about a finished report and pics? Now you have me wondering how the chicken came out. I have never been good with chicken on the grill or in the smoker. Not counting Beer Can Chicken. for some reason that is fantastic for me, but I can not cook pieces for $h*+.

Re: RE: Thighs

icemn62 said:
Okay, hoqw about a finished report and pics? Now you have me wondering how the chicken came out. I have never been good with chicken on the grill or in the smoker. Not counting Beer Can Chicken. for some reason that is fantastic for me, but I can not cook pieces for $h*+.
Jeff is contributing to two threads here.
Take a look at the "Weekend Cook" thread--copied here:

The chicken was moist and very tender. The skin did actually tear clean when you bit through it... not rubbery at all but I got it too dark before I got it off the kettle and into the aluminum pan sealed with foil to simmer in a bit of sauce. also, the sauce wasn't shiney when I pulled it out. I think I need to add some melted butter and a touch of Frank's hot sauce to my Q glaze next time. Shouldn't that jazz it up and shine it up a bit?

TIM

RE: Re: RE: Thighs

Damn, I forgot I had this thread! Been trying to watch football, clean Q pits and report on my cook all at once! Sorry!

Re: RE: Thighs

chad said:
Let me try this again: Did you use a sauce with tomato and sugar when you covered them and put them back on the heat? Guaranteed to go dark on ya.

A lot depends on how long they are covered and steaming.

Don't ask me how I know. :twisted: Though I never did this at a competition.

OK I guess I wasn't clear... the skins turned dark BEFORE I ever sauced them. When they turned dark, all that had been done to them was brining them and then marinating them overnight in Wishbone Robusto Italian dressing... no sugar, no tomato, no nothing other than what I just mentioned. The sauce was put on them AFTER the skin got too dark. And it was sealed up in the aluminum pan with foil on it... no chance for it to burn and darken the skin with this and a 180 degree BSKD.

Link for finished product:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jttstith/images/thigh3.jpg

And the skinny slabs of supposed St. Louis style ribs:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jttstith/images/ribs1.jpg

My guess is the last 15 minutes of the cook on the kettle grill should have been without the lid on. I already had the perfect color I wanted and was just waiting for temp to hit 170* in the thighs. When I poked one thigh with a NuTemp, it read 173*... fark! Three degrees higher than I wanted too! Can't believe I went from that first picture above to this crappy final product! Taste was great and you could bite through the skin easily. Just looked like crap (too dark and not shiny at all).

I think I'm going back to babybacks for contest purposes. I just wasn't happy with these ribs at all. At least I've gone the right direction in everything except ribs! Even the chicken is a lot better than my last thigh attempt.

My guess is the last 15 minutes of the cook on the kettle grill should have been without the lid on. I already had the perfect color I wanted and was just waiting for temp to hit 170* in the thighs.

Jeff - remember, you will also cook these in the 1/2 pan in your smoker for a while so you don't need to get them to 170 while they are in the weber. When I cook chicken I take them out of the weber when the color is right (Marty does it a little different).

i take them out no higher than 160... before going into the pan.. then finish to 170+.

unless i screw up like i did at guitar-b-que..... :oops: Still took 2nd though.

Back