How to reduce the gamey taste in deer meat

smokinajs

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Guys, I have a wild game cookoff this weekend. It's a local thing for the rec department. One entry is a deer meat category. I need a quick sure fired way to kill that gammy taste prior to cooking the meat. I plan on cooking some back strap sections. What would you do to get rid of some of that wild taste? Marinade? Inject?

Isn't taking the gamey taste out of game like trying to take the chicken taste out of chicken? Not a smart alec question...

In my opinion, the wild/gamey taste in venison comes from the fat. You shouldnt have a lot of fat on a backstrap, maybe a little silver skin which I would remove. Remove all the fat you can if there is any present. I try to lean my deer meat out as much as possible as I am butchering, before it goes into the freezer. I would marinate with a soy sauce/ powdered ginger mixture for a few hours, then rub with quality salt/ pepper before grilling. Good luck.

I havent' had deer meat in a loooooong time. Seems I remember folks saying something about marinating the meat in milk.

I havent' had deer meat in a loooooong time. Seems I remember folks saying something about marinating the meat in milk.

I've heard buttermilk. Will soak up the gamey taste and even help tenderize. As far as marinating, how bout injecting or even using a vac seal bag with the marinade in it and then removing all the air so that it really absorbs it all in.

I've used buttermilk, and it can help. How are you planning to cook the meat? That might help in getting some more options.

Stop shooting swamp deer......

I have used thick strips of bacon wrapped around the deer and slow smoked for 12-14 hours to get rid of the gameness

My wife was raised "up north" where they eat venison a lot. She always soaks it in milk. I don't think it's necessary for back straps though. As stated earlier, just remove the silver skin and the rest is very lean.

I wouldn't do squat to marinate venison back strap. It's damn fine as it comes.

i plan on cooking on my BGE, using the indirect method, at a higher temp.

I've used Sprite/7-UP with good results.....soak 5-6 hours, then season

any alegro product, but alegro 'game tame' is probobly the best. they also have a hickory marinade.i have used all their products with great results when i used to have to trick the wife and kids into eating wild game.

We were discussing this at work this morning, but for wild goat...I was told when you are seasoning it, ie" salt, pepper, garlic, add a little instant coffee grounds to the seasonings, the amount said was 1 tsp, but for how much meat? Sorry don't know, but I would guess about 3-5 lbs

you can always render down some bacon and drizzle some oil into marinade...

it depends on how the deer was killed. if he/she was run by dogs it will have a bad gamey taste caused by the adrenalin flowing through the deer's blood. if he/she is shot from a stand where he/she is not excited, there is a world of difference.

i've done this with good success - cut backstrap into about 1" strips, marinade in italian dressing over night (vinegar will help tame the game) , then dust with cayenne pepper, attach a strip or two of bacon and roll into a "pinwheel", run two soaked bamboo skewers at 90 degrees to each other all the way through to hold shape and bacon on, then grill over medium direct heat. They were great!

Back