Babybacks, are they different from

jacob

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The ones I see at
Sam's Club. Them just say short back ribs. I never see any that say Baby backs. Is that the same thing.:confused:

Never heard of short back ribs. Got a pic?

Most of what is available to the average consumer are loin back ribs. These are cut closer to the back bone and are straighter than spares which include the brisket, unless they've been "St. Louis cut" which implies the skirt meat knuckles, cartilage etc. has been trimmed. The term baby back is a misnomer and abundantly misused. I've only seen the term "short ribs" used in the marketing of beef ribs. Kind of interesting. It could be a regional term.

No picture, But I think they might say Loin back like Kevin said. Haven't went shopping yet.

Pork, I am wanting to make Phil's kick arse sammich.

I use the loin ribs and like them better than spares. Just my preference. Usually come 3 racks to a pack and they are vacumn sealed.

Its a Weight thing. If they are 1 1/2 lbs per rack, they can be called Baby Backs. If they are over a certain weight they are called Loin Back, But referred to as Baby Backs by most.

ribcage.gif

So #1 from a large pig would be sold as Loin Back. And not a true Baby Back.

Thats a great picture! Thanks for sharing! Wasn't really sure where each part came from...

When Alton Brown did a show on ribs, he and the butcher talk about the different cuts, which equates to WineMaster's pic. They didn't say anything about weight though. If I remember correctly, they said baby back and loin back are the same. And neither knew how the term "St. Louis cut" came about.

Supposedly, babybacks are loin ribs from a smaller pig.

babybacks vs spares is somewhat like white meat vs dark meat chicken.

Has anyone ever had a whole pork rib?

Getting a understanding of this now. Thanks Brothers.

Supposedly, babybacks are loin ribs from a smaller pig.

babybacks vs spares is somewhat like white meat vs dark meat chicken.

Has anyone ever had a whole pork rib?

Ding Ding Ding ----------------We have a winner

Most of what is available to the average consumer are loin back ribs. These are cut closer to the back bone and are straighter than spares which include the brisket, unless they've been "St. Louis cut" which implies the skirt meat knuckles, cartilage etc. has been trimmed. The term baby back is a misnomer and abundantly misused. I've only seen the term "short ribs" used in the marketing of beef ribs. Kind of interesting. It could be a regional term.

Maybe I am reading it wrong Kevin but it's always been my experience that baby/loin back ribs have MORE curvature than spares and people use spares mostly for comps because they are straighter. Winemasters pic is exactly like the one that hangs on the wall at my buddies butcher shop.

Like I said, I might be reading what you said wrong.

I think I will be able to shop with a little more confidence. That makes me happy. I might wait til I'm through working tomorrow before I go to Sam's. Tired right now, so I think I'll just get rested up tonight. Thanks Brothers for all the info here. It has helped me a lot. Jacob

Maybe I am reading it wrong Kevin but it's always been my experience that baby/loin back ribs have MORE curvature than spares and people use spares mostly for comps because they are straighter. Winemasters pic is exactly like the one that hangs on the wall at my buddies butcher shop.

Like I said, I might be reading what you said wrong.

I don't think he meant the curve of the bone. I think he meant how the line up straight as opposed to how spares tend to fan out at an angle.

I could be wrong though...

I don't think he meant the curve of the bone. I think he meant how the line up straight as opposed to how spares tend to fan out at an angle.

I could be wrong though...
I always thought the curve of the bone is a direct correlation of the heat of the meat :eek: .

Went on to Sam's tonight, Kevin was right, the package says loin back on it. There not curved though, actually pretty straight.

Found this on a butcher website.
There are several kinds of pork ribs available to consumers and, yes, they can be confusing. I'll list them here, but they are NOT in my order of preference, but just as I think of them.

1) Regular Spareribs, available by the single rack or in packages of 2 or 3. These will weigh approximately 3½-4 lbs per rack, plus or minus. The fat here is mostly on the exterior and in the brisket area. You can see it on both the front and the back. Most, about 90%, of the fat should melt/burn away while cooking. These are cut from the side/belly and will have the Brisket bone attached.

2) Domestic Loin Backs/Baby Backs, are also available by the rack or multiple pack. These will weigh 1½ lbs per rack, approx. They should not have any noticeable/visible fat at all. These are more expensive than your regular spareribs and take less time to cook. They are cut from the backside of the center cut Pork Loin.

3) St. Louis Style Spareribs are basically your Regular Spareribs with the brisket bone and flap meat removed. They will weigh in the general area of two pounds per rack. They may, or may NOT, have visible fat depending on the packer.

4) Imported Baby Back Ribs, mostly from Denmark (also Ireland and Argentina), are available by single rack or a 10 lb box. These will weigh around 3/4 lb per rack and are lots more expensive than the three mentioned above. There is NO fat and NO meat, as far as I'm concerned, just lots of bones. Some have a funky ‘off’ taste which is hard to cover up, even with barbecue sauce. Avoid these, if you can. That’s just my opinion, of course.

5) Country Style Spareribs are your most economical rib out there, although they are NOT really a rib, but just a hunk of pork with or without bones. Most times these are cut from the Pork Shoulder Boston Butt, sometimes from the Rib End of the Loin.

See more on Country Style Ribs at the link..
[URL="http://askabutcher.proboards42.com/index.cgi?board=pork&action=display&thread=1119902899"]http://askabutcher.proboards42.com/index.cgi?board=pork&action=display&thread=1119902899[/URL]

Some lesser Pork Ribs available in certain part of the country are…

6) KC (Kansas City) Style Ribs are the same as the St. Louis Style Ribs, but are have about 4-6 less ribs in them.

7) Riblets are what’s left after Baby Backs and Regular Ribs have been cut down to a smaller size or to make them look better by the packer. These can be bone in or boneless.

8) Rib Tips are the Brisket bones cut off the Regular Ribs to make St. Louis and Kansas City Style Ribs. Small, meaty and very tasty.

Back