Pork Shoulder internal temp?

Rover24

Full Fledged Farker
Good morning everyone! I just recently signed up and am amazed by the amount of great BBQ info I have found on this board. I wish I had found it years ago, but I know that I will be glued to this site for quite a while.

I have been an avid griller for years and only occasionally break out my smoker for real BBQ-ing. I have recently vowed to put in a lot more time cooking some real bar-b-que to expand my skills.

This weekend I cooked a 6 pound bone in pork shoulder on my Char-Broil offset smoker. I tried to keep the temp between 225-250 but it occasionally dropped down to 200. (Which is probably why it took almost 9 hours to cook.)

I wanted to ask what internal temperature should I aim for when cooking a pork shoulder?

The recipe I had asked for 195. I thought that was a little high and aimed for 180, wrapped it in foil for about 30 minutes and hoped that the resting time would finish it off. It ended up being a little overcooked for my taste, but I still count the day as a success.

Any help you could provide would be great! Thanks!

Last edited:
Bone in shoulder the bone is the divise that'll tell you when it's done wiggle the bone if it will pull it's done.....non bone normally 195 and or 200..

It wasn't overcooked, it was undercooked as far as BBQ goes.

Shoot for 195ish or until a probe slides in real easy. :biggrin:

I go with at least 195 but I have had some up over 200 and were fine. 9 hours for a 6 pounder sounds about right though. I cooked a batch of 10 pounders and they took between 14 and 16 hours. A couple took 18 hours and some were done in 14. The old saying is that they are done when when they are done. If the bone moves easily and looks like it would just fall out then it is done. Also when you use your temp probe and push it in and there is no resistance it is cooked good.

Could it be that you mean it was oversmoked instead of overcooked? Was the crust black?

Next time try to foil around 165 and let it go til about 295-200 then let it rest. If you rest it in a cooler for a while (more then an hour), open the foil for a few minutes to let the steam out so it doesn't continue cooking while holding.

I do the bone wiggling thing as well. I rarely use temp with a long cook. I do like the probe slides in like butta technique, though I am new to it.

It had a great crust on the outside, but the meat just didn't pull apart very well. I think that like someone mentioned before, I didnt' cook it long enough to get the meat to pull apart easily.

It had a great crust on the outside, but the meat just didn't pull apart very well. I think that like someone mentioned before, I didnt' cook it long enough to get the meat to pull apart easily.

Yep, undercooked. You can stop if that happens and toss it back on to cook another couple hours. I never foil butts. I just cook them long enough, then set them aside and allow them to cool until I can pull the meat.

Back