Stok gas grill???

Novass

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was at hd today and saw a stok brand gas grill. The grill was set up like a performer style with the side table. My question is, has anyone used one or know of anybody that has. By the way the price on it 129.

I got the 4 burner STOK back in July(?). I love it. It's been a reliable grill so far.

I was thinking sense it had a pizza stone, veg basket and you can get a wok it's not a bad deal for 129. Bucks

"There's no free lunch"....unless the sandwich is made in China. :p

No seriously, I was curious about the Stok charcoal grill but saw a lot of bad reviews on line. Just sayin'...

I looked at it today. It looks cool and I really like the grate design.

However, I don't know what the advantage is to a round grill on gas grill. Also, the heat diffuser/flavorizer thingy felt really thin to me.

Still, 129 bucks is pretty cheap. I think the one I looked at was more. If the grates would fit on a regular kettle, I'd be tempted to buy it with low expectations and hope it surpasses them.

Cooking experiences

I actually bought one of these STOK Island Grills for $99.

Here are my thoughts about it.

The grill comes with a 2 year warranty and 10 years on the burner.

The grill gets hot in just a few minutes. So far, I've noticed that there is a hotter spot on the grill just across from the temperature controls. I noticed that when making pizza, one side gets burned so you should rotate frequently.

Using some smoke chips soaked in water directly on the metal surface above the burner, I was able to get a reasonable amount of smoke flavor in my food.

I've also used some mesquite wood chunk and the pizza stone and gotten a really nice pizza made.

I'm very impressed with it. If it holds up!

It is made in china. So are many webers now. :(

For $99 I was willing to take the chance. Worst case, I could use the cast iron grates and pizza stone which fit perfectly on a weber 22.5 kettle (though I have not tried).

The cons are:
* Parts are probably not easy to come by like Weber.
* There lid is not hinged like most weber gassers. So it's a real pain to have to keep finding a place for it. The table is not large enough, and it's prone to fall right off, break the handle, and ruin the thermometer. There is a hook for it though to the side, but you have to be vigilant not to use the table.
* The center of the grill doesn't seem to get as hot as the edges.

Anyway, I think they are phasing this one out of home depot? I see the STOK Quatro there but not this model anymore.

One more thing, I didn't know but Amerigas and Blue Rhino and others apparently fill their tanks to 15 lbs. of propane when a tank is supposed to fit 18? or 20? So, I bought a new tank and took it to a chevron service station that refilled tanks. They charged $16 inc. tax for a full tank regardless of how much they fill. By my calculations using the final weight - tare weight, they put in 18 pounds. Did they cheat me of 2 pounds or did I get the right amount with 2 pounds being used as safety? Reading the posts on the internet, I couldn't tell if a 20 lb tank fills to 20 lb and has an additional margin, or if they fill to 18 lbs and the last 2 lbs is the margin. Anyone know?

I got the STOK Island a couple of weeks ago. $99 also. Regular $249.
I really like it. And yes, the cast iron grate does fit a 22.5 Weber kettle.
Its a well made unit.
BTW... Made in USA!

One more thing, I didn't know but Amerigas and Blue Rhino and others apparently fill their tanks to 15 lbs. of propane when a tank is supposed to fit 18? or 20? So, I bought a new tank and took it to a chevron service station that refilled tanks. They charged $16 inc. tax for a full tank regardless of how much they fill. By my calculations using the final weight - tare weight, they put in 18 pounds. Did they cheat me of 2 pounds or did I get the right amount with 2 pounds being used as safety? Reading the posts on the internet, I couldn't tell if a 20 lb tank fills to 20 lb and has an additional margin, or if they fill to 18 lbs and the last 2 lbs is the margin. Anyone know?

Not sure about propane tanks but, if they're like a steel scuba tank filled with compressed air, they overfill them because the air pressure will decrease as it cools.

Cholloway

Have you fully learned how to use it? I'm still trying to understand how to cook on it. The inner circle (to me), doesn't seem to get nearly as hot as the outer ring. Food burns on outer edge if I leave it too long. Even if both burners are running full, there still seems to be different cooking characteristics of the two zones.

I've only done burgers so far, and they don't require a whole lot of precision but thinking of doing chicken tonight, maybe treat the center as the cool zone and just sear the chicken on the outer ring for a bit, then move it in closer.

I haven't "fully" learned it yet but, the 1st thing I did was play with it without any food on the grate.
Recorded temps of both burners at low, med & hi by themselves, then with both burners together at various settings.

Just like you said...
I did 18 chicken wings on Sunday. Started with them over the outer burner on med til skin started looking cooked with one turning. Then moved them to the center with both burners on low and let them cook while I drank a couple of beers.
They turned out VERY tasty... 'course the Oakridge Secret Weapon I dusted them with had a lot to do with that!

Happened to see one of these at Home Depot over the weekend for $75. I was curious how they cooked and was impressed that it came w/ cast iron grates.

I only have one major complaint about the STOK island ... the lid feels like it is spring loaded. It always has a tendency to fall.

The first time I broke a thermometer. My fault for putting the lid on the stand.

The second time, I was moving my grill across my yard and it just vibrated off and broke the handle and dented it removing paint. Replacement cost for the handle is $10 + $12 shipping.

Maybe I'll try to fashion my own handle ...

if anyone sees one around the d.c. northern va area, please let me know or purchase and I will repay ASAP

many thanks!

all set here now.

the Reston, VA home depot has 4 more in stock as of 2 pm today

(703) 435-0778 - their # to check stock

$79

Back