Mexican Street Corn

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My wife and I have been eating this for a while and love it. I thought I'd share the recipe:

Mexican Street Corn
• 6 ears of corn in the husk
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise
• 3 tablespoons sour cream
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• ½ teaspoon chili powder of choice
• Pinch salt
• 1 cup freshly grated Cotija cheese (if you cannot find Cotija, use shredded white Mexican Cheese)
• 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges, for serving

Soak corn in the husk in water for an hour. Remove from water and cook on the grill for about 40 minutes, rotating every 10 minutes. Remove from grill and shuck. Place it back on the grill to char. When corn is done, spread the mayo/sour cream mixture on the corn and roll it in the cheese. Serve immediately. Squeeze lime over corn just prior to eating.

Last edited:
morgaj1, the only thing you left out is the to sprinkle with the hot sauce of your choice, i also make this in a cup called corn in a cup.

First thing says husks and silk removed then it says to soak husk and all. I'm confused.

First thing says husks and silk removed then it says to soak husk and all. I'm confused.

What you do is just pull the husks down to the bottom of the cob and then remove as much of the silk as you can then pull the husks back over the corn.

I like to tie the husks to the cobs with butchers twine then soak in the water that way the water soaked husks kind of steam the corn at first then you remove the husks to grill the corn.

What you do is just pull the husks down to the bottom of the cob and then remove as much of the silk as you can then pull the husks back over the corn.

I like to tie the husks to the cobs with butchers twine then soak in the water that way the water soaked husks kind of steam the corn at first then you remove the husks to grill the corn.

Bingo!!! I edited it though.

My wife and I have been eating this for a while and love it. I thought I'd share the recipe:

Mexican Street Corn
• 6 ears of corn in the husk
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise
• 3 tablespoons sour cream
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• ½ teaspoon chili powder of choice
• Pinch salt
• 1 cup freshly grated Cotija cheese (if you cannot find Cotija, use shredded white Mexican Cheese)
• 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges, for serving

Soak corn in the husk in water for an hour. Remove from water and cook on the grill for about 40 minutes, rotating every 10 minutes. Remove from grill and shuck. Place it back on the grill to char. When corn is done, spread the mayo/sour cream mixture on the corn and roll it in the cheese. Serve immediately. Squeeze lime over corn just prior to eating.

I've got to try your recipe. Sounds good.

Make this and some Sonoran Hot Dogs and get the full affect. :D

I discovered this recipe from some of my local vatos, and I've been trying it everytime I get some sweet corn. It is totally the best!

I love elote. Your recipe is pretty spot on with mine, except I add a little Cholula hot sauce to mine.

I've got to try your recipe. Sounds good.

I found the original recipe on the internet, but it called for microwaving the corn first :crazy: So I modified the cooking to grilling it only and it works better.

I love corn on the grill. I dont like messing with the husks so I do them in foil with butter and crap. 20 min or so then out of foil....direct grill a little then what marjal does more or less.

google pic
tumblr_l1bzi4SQu51qzxgjjo1_r1_500.jpg

i desilk mine and place the husks back over the cobb. then grill direct heat.

spread mayo
sprinkle parmy cheese
then sprinkle a seoning made around here called pic de gillo. i know that is a homeade fresh salsa, but this is what the mexican folk here call it. its salty and very spicy.
its so awesome.

Alton Brown show taught me to throw corn in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.
I remove the corn, let it rest 5 minutes. Then while wearing hotpad mits/gloves I peel of the husks. The silk sticks to the husks so it is a very clean operation.

I hope to try this recipe next year with your slather.

Back