Spice Mixer

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have 10+ cases of rub to make this week and my normal batch size is only about half a case. So, I've increased my batch size by 5x, but mixing that much product to a consistent mixture is a challenge to say the least. I can now make 35 units at a time (about 4-5 gallons), but its a little more difficult to process.

Started looking on eBay at ribbon mixers. $10k to start!!! Chit! Then I started looking at portable, electric cement mixers. A tumble mixer like that would work perfect.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Don't know if you would get a consistent blend or if the health inspector would like it. What about looking for someone in your area that has one you can "rent".

When I was in the cleaning chemical business, we had tumble mixers for our dry mixes. I have no clue now who the manufacturer was, but I will try to find out. Seems like they were a lot less than you are discussing.
Maybe google on scientific mixers or something.

Don't know if you would get a consistent blend or if the health inspector would like it. What about looking for someone in your area that has one you can "rent".

The blend would be fine. It does sound a little weird. If you watch Unwrapped on FoodTV, you see a lot of candy companies using tumblers like this to mix liquids or add coatings to candies like M&M's or Jordan Almonds.

When I was in the cleaning chemical business, we had tumble mixers for our dry mixes. I have no clue now who the manufacturer was, but I will try to find out. Seems like they were a lot less than you are discussing.
Maybe google on scientific mixers or something.

Thanks for the tip.

At some point, I'll just have to have my spice provider make and package the product for me, but I think its still more cost effective to do it myself for now. Plus the summer BBQ season is half over. I don't want to buy 1000 lbs. or rub only to hold much of it over the winter.

Here's an idea.

http://www.gizmology.net/mixer.htm

mill.jpg

Todd the first thing that came to mind was a cement mixer like you said. I think they would work good .

Scotty D might have some good input... I'm sure they make rubs for their jerky products... He also might know who would lease/rent one of those.

I would go to B&J, or one of the other local supply shops and check out a lease....

That cement mixing tub connected to that gizmo looks like a plan to me.

If you are mixing and not really grinding, how about one of those paddle paint mixers, the kind that run off an electric drill. There are a bunch of different designs from paddles to rotary blades. You could buy food safe 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids, drill a hole small enough for the shaft to go through, then put it into the drill. Another hole 3" in diameter for adding ingredients...This would stop spill over until you got the hang of it. If it works you could build a mount to hold a 1/2 HP drill stationary or use a drill press with table. Yeah...with a variable speed control, raising or lowering the paddle as needed.

I know those paddles are for liquids, but even if you had one made specifically for dry slurries the cost may not be too bad.

I like the rolling cement mixer for 30 bucks it will do 8 lbs. Not bad

Where do you get all your bulk spices?

Redneck method:
Buy some of these:
Ziploc® Big Bags with the new Double Zipper Seal
http://www.ziploc.com/

Put it large duffle and into dryer...no heat!
Or if you want to spend a little $
085635360019md.jpg

1/3 HP electric motor, 3.5 cubic foot, 220 lb. overall capacity cement mixer
Heavy duty poly-drum instead of worrying about paint contamination.
Contractor tough
Thermally protected electric motor
Easy assembly
Easy to maintain
Completely portable
Factory assembled drive
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=86646-1780-636001

90123.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90123

Better quality more$
35730.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35730

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for the ideas, guys. As it turns out, this issue may resolve itself after this summer. My ingredient supplier is a distributor for Superior, a subsidy of Sara Lee. One of their brands is Cain's Spices. They have a big plant in Springfield, MO.

Well, I stopped by Tim's tonight to get a bucket of Paprika, and we sat down to talk about how things were going. We figured by the time the year is out, I will have gone through 1000 lbs. of finished product. God willing, next year should be 2000+. The days of hand made product will be over. They can make and package it as cheap as I can, so why bust my nuts. He's going to start working with the regional sales director and production manager to see what they can do for me for 2008. It will take some time to work everything out, so 2007 will be business as usual.

I made another 5 gallons of rub tonight, and it seems to be mixed just fine. We did some sample pork steaks for dinner tonight.

You can borrow my mixer, the cement flavor should be an added bonus!

LEM makes a sausage mixer in the 25 and 50 pound version. We just got the 50. They come handcrank and we bought the .75hp grinder that goes with it to avoid the hand cranking.

May work well for this.

Back