The Perfect UDS Ash Pan

I'll wait till they go on clearance at Kmart (usually in late fall is when they start marking them down to get ready for the Christmas stuff). I think I picked up 4 of them at 5 bucks a piece this fall!

http://www.amazon.com/Marsh-Allen-1...s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1292332444&sr=1-284

Bought this last summer at Big Lots. Threw everythis away but the pan.

Got mine at the dollar store for 1/2 that price. Did exactly the same thing:
UDSPieces-1.jpg

I found these at Menards on sale for $4.99 and with a $4.00 rebate made the $0.99. I kept the racks, wire 4 of them together wit the handles out in 4 different directions for a campfire cooking rack. Can always find rocks to rest the handles on........

I guess I don't see the big need for an ash pan. Once in a while, I just dump the ash out by turning the drum upside down.

Then again......I'm a bada$$.
:heh::heh::heh:

:laugh:

BUT......if I WERE to get an ashpan....that one would work for sure!

I guess I don't see the big need for an ash pan. Once in a while, I just dump the ash out by turning the drum upside down.

I bought a plastic dust pan and cut it to the radius of the drum, and just scoop out the ashes before every cook. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Thats what I did before my hands got tough, now I just reach in and stir the fire with my bare hands. Then I scoop out the ash with my other hand.

Nice score, keep the grill rack too as a base for your basket, all you need then is expanded steel to go higher and you got yourself a basket. I would shorten the legs a little to drop your basket an inch or so. Just my two cents.

I just use a galvanized trash can cover inverted ---no problems with meat taste, cooking or ash collection. Just put the handle back on the opposite side and lift it right out. Also sprayed it with PAM before first use

Nice score, keep the grill rack too as a base for your basket, all you need then is expanded steel to go higher and you got yourself a basket. I would shorten the legs a little to drop your basket an inch or so. Just my two cents.

I suggest NOT doing the above! I tried that and learned the hard way!! :doh: The grill rack is made of cheap thin metal and warps easily with the hot coals!!

+1

Loosen up the ash in the bottom with an old shovel, turn barrel upside down and empty into compost pile.

Looks like most the new guys are going without a ash pan. I would rather my drum be easier to clean, yall can keep on scooping that hard grease saturated ash from the bottom of the barrel. I'm liftin' mine out like the Easter bunny. :becky:

Back