Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Praise the Lard, Murpysboro, IL September 22-24

jrbBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Who else is gonna be there. It's looks like fun. I just got my packet in an e-mail this morning. Check out these turn in times, and I'm signed up to do MBN shoulders and ribs along with all the KCBS categories.
MBN Whole Hog 9:45 to 10:00 a.m.
KCBS Chicken 10:00 to 10:10 a.m.
MBN Shoulder 11:15 to 11:30 a.m.
KCBS Pork 11:30 to 11:40 a.m.
MBN Ribs 12:45 to 1:00 p.m.
KCBS Ribs 1:00 to 1:10 p.m.
Potato Salad 1:30 to 1:40 p.m.
KCBS Brisket 2:20 to 2:30 p.m.
[FONT=Gill Sans MT,Gill Sans MT][FONT=Gill Sans MT,Gill Sans MT]MBN on-site judging
[/FONT][/FONT]Whole Hog 10:15 a.m.
Shoulder 11:45 a.m.
Ribs 1:15 p.m.
Finals 2:30 p.m.

We'll be there doing the KCBS comp. This is our first year, so I have no idea what to expect. I do know that the turn in time are going to screw with my mind :-D

As always, the big coffee pot will be on and ready around 6:30 on Saturday morning and I should have bags of coffee available if anyone wants some to take home. They make a great souvenir :-D

I will be there just looked at turn in times as well time to figure out how early I gotta get up now!:crazy:

I thought about coming down Thursday as well, but I'm still on the fence about, I don't plan on cooking the wings or doing the fish fry. I have enough on my plate as it is. I didn't want to do any MBN since this is my first year doing KCBS, but its paid for, so I guess I'm gonna give it a shot.

Thanks... Good to know. We have a toy hauler that is about 25 feet overall length, so that could be an issue.

One of our favorites, will see you all there!

The Q Factor

Any reason in particular? We're thinking about it but may have to arrive on Friday morning depending on work schedules.

Its really nice to get settled in.
They have a wing and fish contest on thursday night.
darn near whatever time you arrive on friday almost all of the teams are there and its harder to get to your spot.

Its really nice to get settled in.
They have a wing and fish contest on thursday night.
darn near whatever time you arrive on friday almost all of the teams are there and its harder to get to your spot.

Thanks. We're going to try to leave here on Thursday morning, so that would put us down there by mid afternoon.

Any idea on the rules for the fish and wings? How much do you turn in or is it more like a people's choice?

I live in Murphysboro so let me know if there is anything you want to know and I'll try to help you out.

I live in Murphysboro so let me know if there is anything you want to know and I'll try to help you out.

I have never done this one I want to do it next year if everything works out

how is the water
and power

is it in an flat field

just an over view would be nice

thanks
york

I have never done this one I want to do it next year if everything works out

how is the water
and power

is it in an flat field

just an over view would be nice

thanks
york

York, it is flat, half grass half gravel
Water is good
Power is not so great, they ask nobody with an RV plug in.
I think they could easily bring in a Generator to supply a little extra and take a load off the existing infrastructure. But they don't....

Like Greg said, arrive early or you may have trouble getting into your spot. I've never had a problem but I'm not hauling around a 60 ft trailer.

I've never done the fish but I usually cook the wings
No rules on garnish, they supply the fish and wings if you want to cook it.

Ron, I just fill up the box....about 3-4 lbs of wings in a box....that's about all a styro box will hold.

Turn in times are a little crazy. You flip ribs and pork and Brisket goes in like an hour later. Minor adjustments really but it looks crazy on paper.

Thin Blue BBQ will be back in Murphysboro for the KCBS contest again this year. We will be there Thursday to partake in all of the festivities. :)

Swing by and say hi. Homemade hard cider on board with us as well. This is a great contest. Mike, Amy, Laurie and everyone involved really make this a great time. Getting 2nd place in Ribs last year made it all worth it too. :)

York, it is flat, half grass half gravel
Water is good
Power is not so great, they ask nobody with an RV plug in.
I think they could easily bring in a Generator to supply a little extra and take a load off the existing infrastructure. But they don't....

Like Greg said, arrive early or you may have trouble getting into your spot. I've never had a problem but I'm not hauling around a 60 ft trailer.

I've never done the fish but I usually cook the wings
No rules on garnish, they supply the fish and wings if you want to cook it.

Ron, I just fill up the box....about 3-4 lbs of wings in a box....that's about all a styro box will hold.

Turn in times are a little crazy. You flip ribs and pork and Brisket goes in like an hour later. Minor adjustments really but it looks crazy on paper.

Yeah... I revised my schedule yesterday for the new turn in times. If I don't have it on paper I'm likely to freak out :-D

What do they define as an RV? I have a small toy hauler and I will be plugging it (with a 20A adapter) in so that we have lights inside. Based on the early weather forecast we won't need the AC on. Hopefully they won't care about that. The highest power draw we have is the big coffee pot.

Ron, not sure of their definition of "RV".
However, I have a pop up camper that I have plugged in every year and nobody has ever said a word. But like you said, AC shouldn't be an issue.
I think the concern is that is everybody was plugged in running god knows what it would exceed their power capabilities. They get some pretty big rigs come into town.

Back