Smokey Joe Mini WSM Question

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have everything ready to make my Smokey Joe Mini WSM tomorrow with the IMUSA tamale pot. I plan to use 2 cooking grates. Any recommendations for placement of the grates, ie. how far from the top or bottom of the tamale pot would you place the grates?

I only put one grate in mine and it's 3 1/2" down from the top of the pot. If you are using the Smokey Joe lid, it's not quite domed enough to handle a big piece of meat like a whole chicken or a big butt unless your grate is a little lower in the kettle...

I only put one grate in mine and it's 3 1/2" down from the top of the pot. If you are using the Smokey Joe lid, it's not quite domed enough to handle a big piece of meat like a whole chicken or a big butt unless your grate is a little lower in the kettle...
True that.

But if you are cooking a bird or butt you could leave the top grate out and cook on the lower one.

I'm building one for each of the kids and I'll be putting two grates in too, just haven't figured out where (don't have the tamale pots yet).

Two grates would be perfect if you're gonna cook a mess of thighs or wings.

True that.

But if you are cooking a bird or butt you could leave the top grate out and cook on the lower one.

I'm building one for each of the kids and I'll be putting two grates in too, just haven't figured out where (don't have the tamale pots yet).

Two grates would be perfect if you're gonna cook a mess of thighs or wings.

The biggest reason I want 2 shelves is to be able to do ABT's on the top shelf while the meat smokes below. So, height won't be much of an issue.

i made it so my top grate is just under the handle rivets. this has proven to be a problem as its a tight fit getting past those rivets. suggest making it so the grate is just above the rivets. space should be ok.

I put mine measuring from top at about 3 inches(just below the bumps from the handels), and 8 inches. This gives both shelves about 5 inches of clearance.

The biggest reason I want 2 shelves is to be able to do ABT's on the top shelf while the meat smokes below. So, height won't be much of an issue.

I think everything that's built everywhere should have room for ABT's.

It would not be too difficult to set up a mini wsm with the ability to set multiple racks and have them at multiple levels as well. You might wanna set it up so you have four different locations where you can set racks inside and then use whichever locations work best for your cook. I haven't seen it done here before but it would not be difficult to do.

I hung my bottom grate where the tamale cooker insert goes and the top grate about 5.5 or 6 inches (not sure exactly) above that. There is enough room for two 7-8 pound rib roasts but the one on bottom had to be boneless to fit. This was our Christmas dinner this year:

imagewxf.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-12-24

imagekae.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-12-24

imageoir.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-12-25

imagebz.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-12-25

imagelym.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-12-25

imagehfd.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-12-25

imagejmz.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-12-25

I have two racks in mine, but only one for cooking, since I use my mini-WSM for very small cooks -- like some wings or a meatloaf.

My bottom rack sits on the indent in the IMUSA tamale pot they the steamer plate would normally sit on. I use that to hold a drip pan.

Being a small space, the mini-WSM seems to be pretty forgiving on cooking grate placement, so I would just work my way down from the top to place two cooking grates. You won't need any room for ABTs, so put that grate just below the top, and place the lower grate to accommodate the stuff you want to put on it.

CD

i made it so my top grate is just under the handle rivets. this has proven to be a problem as its a tight fit getting past those rivets. suggest making it so the grate is just above the rivets. space should be ok.

+1 on this comment. Although it did give me the clearance I needed for a rib rack. But I would go above the rivets. And definitely do two grates. I use both more than I would have guessed. Very handy to have.

With the three 1'' bolts in for rack holders, I cannot get past one of the screws to take the lower rack in and out. I was thinking of putting a wing nut on that one bolt for easy removal. Have you guys encountered this and what did you do to remedy?

With the three 1'' bolts in for rack holders, I cannot get past one of the screws to take the lower rack in and out. I was thinking of putting a wing nut on that one bolt for easy removal. Have you guys encountered this and what did you do to remedy?

1" bolts are too long. Use 3/4".

You do not need long screws or bolts for the grates, since they are tight fits in the tamale pot. I think mine are half inch, at the most.

CD

Back