Smoker with catering question / reheat?

Balls Casten

is Blowin Smoke!
Hi all, I have my army scouts cookout this weekend. Thank you for the previous input on food portions.
We are cooking 4 briskets and 6 buts on Friday after noon, to be served 7:00 Saturday evening. I’m pulling the pork adding some liquid and storing/cooling in ziplock bags in a cooler. Then will place in chafing pans to reheat. The brisket I am leaving whole (or parted) and storing in chafing pans in a fridge. Then will slice Saturday then reheat.
Saturday we are smoking ribs to be served hot at 7:00pm. So I have most of the afternoon to reheat the butts and brisket.

Question is how long and at what temps do I reheat? Where we are serving does have a kitchen with steam tables and large ovens.

Am I doing this right?

Well you need to get everything up to at least 140 degrees. I would not slice the brisket until it is re-heated, you will loose a lot of juice. You can re-heat the pork and brisket at the same time you are smoking the ribs, if you have the room in the cooker.

Nope no room on the smoker.
I do have a kitchen available with ovens and steam tables.
Will a whole/parted brisket take 2 hours to reheat at 200 degrees???? 1 hour???? 250????
I have never reheated whole briskets or full pans full of pulled pork. ????

Chafing dishes and steam tables are only used to hold food at a
temperature above 140 degrees.
They should not be used to heat food "up" to that temperature.

You should heat the food up to at least 140 degrees in the oven, or
in your cooker.....THEN transfer it to the Chafing dish or steam table
once it has been heated up to the proper SAFE temperature.

You don't want to have a couple dozen Scouts with food poisoning,
from eating food that wasn't kept at proper temperatures.

If that happens you probably will never get any more business.
Plus, you may end up being sued by some of the kids parents; if
their kids get sick.

You can reheat brisket in the ovens...Make sure there is a good amount
of juice in the pan with the brisket...then tightly cover it with Foil.
Heat it at about 225-250 for probably 2-3 hours.

It will depend on how thick the briskets are and if you have 1 per
pan, or 2 per pan ...as to how long it will take.
Use your thermometer to check temperatures every so often.

Last edited:
Do not mess around reheating at 2-300 degrees.It will take forever. Reheat at 350-400. I tried to reheat a large foil pan full of pulled pork, and one full of brisket once at 300 and it took over three hours to get really hot!

Do not mess around reheating at 2-300 degrees.It will take forever. Reheat at 350-400. I tried to reheat a large foil pan full of pulled pork, and one full of brisket once at 300 and it took over three hours to get really hot!

Thanks Woodman thats what I was looking for, I see in jgh's link they reheated at 450 for 2 hrs.

BTW .. these are these are "Army Calvery Scouts" I'm worried about them coming after me not their parents.

Back