THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MilitantSquatter

I used my BGE for the first time today (the BGE that I got last month, not the one I got just picked up today).

I spent a few hours just getting familiar with the egg by getting the fire started, playing with the vents to see how sensitive they were and just let it go for a while etc.

Later on, I opened the vents and got the fire really hot... had the needle pinned past 700 degrees for a steak dinner.

I planned to sear first at fire ring level but I forgot to take out the new cast iron grid I bought :mad:. Time was getting short so I just put on the WooRing2 and cooked it high heat at felt/handle level. Prep was just a few quick shots of worsey sauce then a heavy coating of Montreal Steak seasoning and Raising the Steaks rub from Dizzy Pig. Co.

Tasted great but my camerawork with my crummy Kodak EasyShare (I call it Camera for Dummies like me) is far from RTD quality. My wife works for Nikon, so I think we're gonna need get a Nikon D40 at some point to play in Rick's ballpark.

Last edited:
at least ya didn't toast the gasket. ya coulda used the porcelain grid on the firering to get closer to the heat.

you can play in my ballpark anytime. :biggrin:

at least ya didn't toast the gasket. ya coulda used the porcelain grid on the firering to get closer to the heat.

you can play in my ballpark anytime. :biggrin:

Toast the gasket from the temp or from having the grid at felt level ?

You're right... I could have just put the porcelain on the ring. Wasn't thinking... My head was more focused on using some of the chit i bought like the WooRing..

The other thing was, I thought the bottom of the firebox cracked (the disc with all the holes). I bent a coat hanger to poke out the air vents to see what affect that had on temps. As I was poking, I see the bottom is moving around a bit. I thought it cracked in a perfect circle. I was all pissed off. then the lightbulb went on to go check what the box looks like in the new egg I just got. Felt relieved when I saw that piece is supposed to be that way !!!

Gonna try to get the invoice/receipt from my friend who gave me BGE #1 to hopefully have if ever really needing replacements for either egg.

Toast the gasket from the temp or from having the grid at felt level ?

You're right... I could have just put the porcelain on the ring. Wasn't thinking... My head was more focused on using some of the chit i bought like the WooRing..

The other thing was, I thought the bottom of the firebox cracked (the disc with all the holes). I bent a coat hanger to poke out the air vents to see what affect that had on temps. As I was poking, I see the bottom is moving around a bit. I thought it cracked in a perfect circle. I was all pissed off. then the lightbulb went on to go check what the box looks like in the new egg I just got. Felt relieved when I saw that piece is supposed to be that way !!!

Gonna try to get the invoice/receipt from my friend who gave me BGE #1 to hopefully have if ever really needing replacements for either egg.

No, no no....in an Egg, you don't say "poke out the air vents", you say "wiggle the vents" or "wiggle the lump". :biggrin: Okay it's your first eggsperience, we'll let it slide this time.

If you have any of the useless forks that come with every BBQ utensil set that you inevitably get from the inlaws because they know you Q - make your own wiggle rod!
Cut one of the tines off and bend it a 90* angle and start wigglin' the lump!

100_2539.jpg

100_2538.jpg

Congrats on the first cook! Remember to burp that Egg!

Thanks Brian.... I remember reading about that tip to use old BBQ forks but forgot . I must have several in my utensil drawer.

Yes... I burped it each time I opened it. Remembered that tip !!

the doc is right... you have next to no lump in the firebox. fill that thing up to at least the top of the firebox and let er rip.

newbies often melt their gasket by firing the egg up the first time and seeing how hot they can gt it. when the thermometer laps itself, the adhesive on the gasket lets go because it hasn't "set" yet. sometimes if the dome is not seated correctly, the hot gasses will exit at the gasket level and burn the gasket. sometimes when the plate setter and too large a pizza stone is used, the hot gasses are directed right at the gasket and it melts.

Thanks guys...

As far as the lump qty. I had a full ring when I started out today, but by the time I was ready to cook, I knew the two steaks were gonna cook quickly and the temps were really hot. Will be sure to re-load on the next cook.

Back