Looking for Brisket BBQ Sauce

Greg60525

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'll be doing a big cook for family and friends. Most of the time I don't put sauce on my brisket, but I want something for the party. I think most of the BBQ sauces tend to over-power the brisket and you mostly end up tasting the sauce.

Do you have any ideas or sauces that you think complement brisket?

Thanks,

What about just using Au Jus?
I usually thicken it up just a little bit; with some mashed potato flakes; so it
clings nicely to the meat, without covering it up like a gravy would.

Blue Cheese dressing is a fantastic dipping sauce for Beef.
I like the "Litehouse" brand; but, there are other good ones out there.
0007766100316_215X215.jpg

Last edited:
Blue cheese and Brisket? I think I have just reached a state of inner peace and contentment just thinking about that. Great idea, I will absolutely give that a try.

The blue cheese does sound interesting.

If you want to also try a traditional commercial sauce, then Stubb's Original works pretty well with beef.

Blue Cheese... yes awesome, but why not use the real thing..

Just askin!

Bill

I like Bullseye BBQ sauce mixed with drippings and can of beef broth. You can also use those store bought packets to make gravy and/or au jus (think french dip). Doesn't get much simpler than that.

I know a lot of folks like to make their own sauces, but for some reason I've not had much luck going that route.

Pour 1 can of beef broth (pref low sodium) into a pot and bring to a simmer,
then add 1 tbs paprika, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp red cooking wine and a dash of your favorite dry chile. Simmer for 10-15 mins or until it reaches your preferred consistency, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool, then serve.

What we do is after we wrap it we take the juices and strain then mix 50/50 with bbq sauce.

^^^ What skidder said. We got about 40% juices and 60% sauce; the sauce we
use is also about 40% Blues Hog Original and 60% Blues Hot Tennessee Red.

Thanks for the ideas...........I will give some of them a try before the big party. The Blue cheese thing will have to wait. I may try it for myself, but I'm not going to experiment to that degree on a bunch of people.........any bbq sauce would probably work for them, but I'm sure they would just dip celery sticks in there.

Thanks again,
Greg

Try brisket on a slice of white bread with some fresh avocado. It's surprisingly good. However, when I use sauce on beef, I go with Head Country. It has a classic BBQ beef flavor that reminds of what used to be served at a beef BBQ joint we had in my town when I was a kid.

I'm partial to this sauce recipe for anything beef.

Black Jack BBQ Sauce:
2 cups chopped sweet onion, 2 cups strong coffee, 1 cup catsup,
1 cup worcestershire, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup cider vinegar,
1/4 cup Texas Pete, 3 Tbls. chili powder, 6 cloves garlic minced,
2 tsp. salt
Combine in sauce pan, bring to simmer, simmer 1/2 hour....

Don't forget that horseradish is also a WONDERFUL complimentary flavor with beef.

I 2nd the horseradish. We put sliced brisket on a hoagie w/horseradish sauce and............funions. They're awsome. Also a little mustard (Roxys) sauce.:thumb:

I use au jus packets, but I add only 1/2 the water that it calls for and add drippings to it. less water makes it a bit thicker so it sticks to the brisket better, it also works well for reheating brisket in...

I lean towards a more "Texas-style" sauce on most of my beef. Tomato-based, but thinner and less sweet than a KC or Memphis-style sauce with a decided heat to it. Not quite as vinegary (is that a word:confused:) as a N. Carolina sauce, but still with a good tang.

For the heat, I use chipotles and serranos. No sugar, but a good no-sulphur molasses and honey for the sweet and red wine vinegar for the tang.

I also am a huge fan of Horseradish. My Grandpa used to say that the only reason God created beef was as a Horseradish delivery system.:thumb:

The Blue cheese thing will have to wait. I may try it for myself, but I'm not going to experiment to that degree on a bunch of people..

Thanks again,
Greg

It's not so much an experiment; as it as an Experience.:idea:

Why not offer your guests 2, or 3, or 4 options?:confused:
It wont take but a few seconds to open up a bottle of Blue Cheese
dressing; and set it on the table. Let your guest try the different
Flavors you have for them to taste.:clap2:

Make a nice "Au Jus" (french dip style), have some Horseraddish sauce,
some Blue Cheese dressing, and some Whiskey Butter for dipping.

Melt about 1/2 pound of butter...(if you clarify it, it's best) add a teaspoon
of ground black pepper, and a "Shot" of your favorite Whiskey....use
more; or less Whiskey, depending on how much of a "Kick" you want it to
have.:-D
If you don't have any, you can buy a small bottle of Jack Daniels at the
Liquor store for just a few dollars.

Don't boil the Whiskey Butter, just melt it gently; and keep it warm.

If you don't have any small sauce dishes for people to use...you can
usually get some Oriental style ones; with 3 or 4 small sections for
different sauces. They aren't very expensive; and are great for
dinners like yours.:thumb:

Here's a picture of one....the dish on the right is the one I am referring to.
Blue2And4PartDishesS9

Back