First competition cook... Which smoker?

The Pig's Blanket

Full Fledged Farker
Ok so here goes. Im going to enter a backyard competition. Its 2.5hours away from me and its only a Rib cook. My question is Should I take my big trailer smoker or do you think I can make winning ribs on a Traeger?

Any advice for this comp will be appreciated, ANY ADVICE AT ALL!!! lol

How do my ribs look?

Take the one you cook best on.

The ribs look a bit dark, but it could be the flash....

THANK YOU so maybe I'll just wrap a little sooner. I just got the Traeger and I like the way it cooks. I have a month to practice ribs on it if I wanted to take it?

2nd question.... whats the best type of knife to cut the ribs with? Electric or bread or just a sharp knife?

If it's unsanctioned, honestly, all bets are off, as they're unlikely to have any judging criteria or standard. If this is the case, generally speaking, disregard all the KCBS 'ribs should be like this' stuff and make them as close to falling off the bone as possible. Generally, a deep red to a mahogany red color works best with ribs; not too light red or heaven forbid pink, and not so dark that they're just brown or black. Ribs, I definitely foil for color. On mine it's right at the 1.5 hour mark, but that's on mine, yours surely will vary.

+1 to Lakedog

Overcook them a little for a non-sanctioned contest. People expect "fall of the bone" ribs. The Traeger is a perfectly good rib cooker, I wouldn't bother with the big offset for doing a single category.

As others have said, wrapping earlier will give you better color on the ribs. Also the bottom of the rack looks like some of the brisket bone cartilage is still on there - you might want to trim it so it's closer to the bone and straighter.

If it's unsanctioned, honestly, all bets are off, as they're unlikely to have any judging criteria or standard. If this is the case, generally speaking, disregard all the KCBS 'ribs should be like this' stuff and make them as close to falling off the bone as possible. Generally, a deep red to a mahogany red color works best with ribs; not too light red or heaven forbid pink, and not so dark that they're just brown or black. Ribs, I definitely foil for color. On mine it's right at the 1.5 hour mark, but that's on mine, yours surely will vary.

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK!
I foil mine around 2-2.5 hour mark... Maybe I should be in your area around 1.5 hours.... Ill check them around 1.5 next cook. My rub does have a fair amount of dark brown sugar. There is no sauce on them either. I love to just brush on all the love from the bottom of the foil. I know in a comp there gonna want sauce. So after they vent I sauce then throw back on for 20 min or so to set the sauce... Right?

+1 to Lakedog

Overcook them a little for a non-sanctioned contest. People expect "fall of the bone" ribs. The Traeger is a perfectly good rib cooker, I wouldn't bother with the big offset for doing a single category.

As others have said, wrapping earlier will give you better color on the ribs. Also the bottom of the rack looks like some of the brisket bone cartilage is still on there - you might want to trim it so it's closer to the bone and straighter.

Thanks good advice on a straight rack. These ribs were smoked for a buddy of mines July 4th. I didnt trim them but I see what your saying. We bought and cooked a case of ribs, 2 butts and a brisket that day it was crazy! lol.... Thank you for again for the advice :grin:

Sauce and sauce setting varies greatly person to person.

For me, I found that the sauce seemed to really, and I mean REALLY absorb smoke. I found it doesnt need to bake on... So, when I sauce (and I dont all the time), I apply heated sauce at the very end and just let it sit (outside of the smoker) for about 3 to 5 minutes. No extra smoke applied; just a thin coat of sauce....

Thats some awesome pinstriping. True talent right there. And what everyone else said about the cooking process i agree with.

Thank you. I was hoping it would stay on.... after several long hot cooks its still on there. My favorite piece is the back side of the vertical. Here is a pic of it and my helper. She loves wrapping the ribs. (adding all the goodies)

Sauce and sauce setting varies greatly person to person.

For me, I found that the sauce seemed to really, and I mean REALLY absorb smoke. I found it doesnt need to bake on... So, when I sauce (and I dont all the time), I apply heated sauce at the very end and just let it sit (outside of the smoker) for about 3 to 5 minutes. No extra smoke applied; just a thin coat of sauce....

I think this was my first Competition post. you people have given me some great advice and tips. THAN YOU! Advice and good people is why this is the greatest Forum ever! BBQ Brethren and people like you have made me a better pitmaster and a little heavier!! lol :clap2::clap2::clap2:

this is a tough one, that's a small traeger, so if you're cooking for a peoples choice kind of thing where you'd have to cook a case or more, that'll be difficult. get a little bit more on the specifics of the actual contest.

well if you can fit 2 racks flat in the traeger, you can probably easily get 4 in there if you use a rib rack, or something to hold them vertical. Cook on what you're comfortable with, and is most economical for you to bring with you. See what your site size is, a trailer may be hard to get into the location.

I think you can win with a Traeger. It's more about the cook than the cooker. I use an Elite for my ribs. I cook 3 racks, laying them front to back, you could probably get close to a fourth if you wanted. The ends normally get a little charred since they hang past the drip pan, but all you care about is the middle of the rack with pure goodness.

I use a 12" granton slicer for my ribs.

Yard Time

If you can, trim all the racks you are using to be the same width, so if you need to turn in from different racks, they are the same length. The ones in the picture look a bit dark. Easy on the flavor profile - less is more. No habanero stuff. Use a freaking sharp knife, and trim any bits of meat even with the rest of the meat with scissors. Take any black crud off the ends of the bones before they go in the box.

I do all of my ribs on the exact same Traeger you have there...completely able to get 4 racks of St. Louis cut ribs on there. Just make sure to vaccum out the smoker before the cook to get any of the dust out of there from previous cooks for optimal performance.

Back