MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #91
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Best of luck to you. I worked a job over by Three Rivers 5 or 6 years ago. Maybe next time we do work out there, I'll swing by for a bite to eat

Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #92
kirk fortin
Knows what a fatty is.

Best of luck to ya man! I see your in MI an im hoping your a Wingnut too. LGRW!! I wish i was closer to support your business though.....good luck!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #93
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddweatherholtz View Post
Just remember #1 thing is taking care of your guest, go above an beyond. You need to not be afraid to lose money at first. over staff. Never should someone walk in on a tuesday lunch and because you were afraid it was going to be slow and only have one server and a cook on and a you are suddenly busy and under staffed, that is a killer. If you mess up a order fix it 3 fold, comp it, and give them a gift cert. You or your managers should talk to ever single guest that comes in and get to know them. Treat every guest like a regular. And finally last bit of advice is to get involved in the community. I have been in this business a long time and it is usually not the food that makes or breaks a new place, it is the service and the over all exeprience.

Good luck, can not wait to see how it goes!! Maybe start a franchise and come to Maryland!
From a consumer's standpoint you could not be more spot on. I can tell you this. If I ever get the feeling or the impression that my business isn't appreciated in an eating establishment I'll never frequent the place again. No matter how good the food is. There is a place in Bossier City, LA that I'll NEVER frequent simply because of bad, arrogant, snotty service. They hire eye candy waitresses and obviously do not train them about service and appreciation of customers. Service there is AWFUL.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #94
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

Best of luck. Wish I had the funds and balls to do this!

Old 05-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #95
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

Best of luck to you. Looks like a great starting point

Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #96
Dave M
On the road to being a farker

Best of luck with it. I am 2 1/2 to 3 hours away from you depending on route. Sounds like a nice motorcycle ride. When you open I'll swing over and give some support. :)
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #97
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for posting this thread!!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #98
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Best of luck to you. I hope all works out the way you want with your new adventure.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #99
DJK
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Did you ever consider starting smaller with a food truck? If so, what weighed against this option? Just curious, really.

Also, I join everyone else in wishing you the best.
DJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #100
Cheech
Knows what a fatty is.

Please be sure to share opening day with us. I would love to be able to make a drive down and be there for that
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #101
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK View Post
Did you ever consider starting smaller with a food truck? If so, what weighed against this option? Just curious, really.

Also, I join everyone else in wishing you the best.
I did. That was my first plan of attack, but that got shot down quickly. In this area the only city that could support a truck full time would be the immediate South Bend, IN area. Only problem is they don't allow food trucks. So, getting outside of that area there's very little other than a lot of rural and small towns with just a few thousand people.

Just across the border here in Michigan where they are allowed, there's nothing to support a full time truck business, but there's one or two people who set up from time to time on weekends in the summer, but that's about it.

After thinking about it I actually preferred a physical location because investing in real estate is another thing I deal in, so aside from the business itself I know it may also turn out to be a reasonable investment given where we are in the current real estate market. Not counting on it by any means, but at least having some equity into it in the event things turn south means less of a financial hit if I have to get out. And if things go at least well enough to keep the doors open, then having the the 5 year note paid off would not only be great for cash flow, but hopefully by then some improvement in real estate could make for a bigger payday down the road.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #102
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Good luck. Owning your own business is a lot of work but is the only way to go!

Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #103
kaosfury
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Karl

Keep us up to date on this. I'm only a couple hours out, and can get the family to do a road trip for good grub.

On the fries thing, I'd say nix it. Fryers are more trouble than they're worth. Mashed potatoes are easier, and fit better with good Q IMO.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #104
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
I did. That was my first plan of attack, but that got shot down quickly. In this area the only city that could support a truck full time would be the immediate South Bend, IN area. Only problem is they don't allow food trucks. So, getting outside of that area there's very little other than a lot of rural and small towns with just a few thousand people.

Just across the border here in Michigan where they are allowed, there's nothing to support a full time truck business, but there's one or two people who set up from time to time on weekends in the summer, but that's about it.

After thinking about it I actually preferred a physical location because investing in real estate is another thing I deal in, so aside from the business itself I know it may also turn out to be a reasonable investment given where we are in the current real estate market. Not counting on it by any means, but at least having some equity into it in the event things turn south means less of a financial hit if I have to get out. And if things go at least well enough to keep the doors open, then having the the 5 year note paid off would not only be great for cash flow, but hopefully by then some improvement in real estate could make for a bigger payday down the road.
That sounds pretty sensible to me. You are going IN with an EXIT strategy all worked out. I wish I'd been smart enought to do that in my business 10 years ago.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #105
ColdFyre
On the road to being a farker

best wishes to you!
ColdFyre is offline   Reply With Quote