I hate burnt ends

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have the same hate for burnt ends that QueinKC Jeff has for chicken, although my hate for chicken is not far behind. I rarely turn in burnt ends cause they usually suck. They are always to chewy. Any cooking tips appreciated.

I actually dont seem to have the time to make burnt ends at comps, at home I take and seperate the flat and point when done, re-season and cook for just about forever or until dead what ever comes first.

I think the burnt ends were the only saving grace we had last year for our brisket....

Do you wrap? Baste? Inject? Marinade? What kind of Beef do you use? Fat side up down? I guess they should be a little chewy due to the extra amount of bark, but not tough at all.

To me good burnt ends are one of the greatest culinary creations in the history of humankind.

I actually dont seem to have the time to make burnt ends at comps, at home I take and seperate the flat and point when done, re-season and cook for just about forever or until dead what ever comes first.

Do you cook hot and fast? Since I have never cooked this way I wouldn't know, but I have never had to separate the point and flat and re-cook to get it where I want it.:?:

Hmm...to each their own i guess. I can't imagine not liking them. Maybe you should just send all your burnt ends to me. On second thought, scratch that idea. It could be that I wouldn't like them either!:lol::wink::biggrin:

Do you wrap? Baste? Inject? Marinade? What kind of Beef do you use? Fat side up down? I guess they should be a little chewy due to the extra amount of bark, but not tough at all.

To me good burnt ends are one of the greatest culinary creations in the history of humankind.
I do wrap, I do inject, i use choice briskets typically from RD, I cook fat side down. After I separate falt and point , Flat in cooler then point back (still wrapped) on and leaveit on all morning of turn in . I then cube and put some rub or sauce or both and put in a pan and back on cooker bout and hour before turn in

Thanks for the tip, I am sure it will come in handy:rolleyes:
Sorry Sled.... Smart a$$ mod...

I split my brisket before I cook it... When I remove the flat, I chunk up the point, add some additional rub, add a sweet sauce, and put it back into the cooker until turn-in stiring every hour except for the last hour (I want at least one side well browned from the sugar...

The extra couple of hours, while the brisket is sitting in the cooler, seems to tenderize them nicely...

One thing to remember, don't cut the cubes any larger than an inch to an inch and a half or they'll never get done in time....

Hope this helps....

I do wrap, I do inject, i use choice briskets typically from RD, I cook fat side down. After I separate falt and point , Flat in cooler then point back on and leaveit on all morning of turn in . I then cube and put some rub or sauce or both and put in a pan and back on cooker.

So this is to re-bark the point so to speak? It could be that the point is getting over-cooked when it goes back on the cooker. I cooler both at the same time and only separate at turn-in.

So this is to re-bark the point so to speak? It could be that the point is getting over-cooked when it goes back on the cooker. I cooler both at the same time and only separate at turn-in.
Not to rebark, to try to make them more tender but they never do come out that way. They are always tough.

I've done it both ways - separate then cook for a few hours, then cube, sauce, etc. I've also done it where I rest the whole brisket together and make burnt ends right before turn-in. IMO, it depends on how you trim your brisket to begin with. If you trim agressively and throw the point on for another couple hours, you'll overcook them.

I don't consider what I turn in to be a true burnt end, but rather a cube of brisket.

After I seperate the flat and point, I trim the point up really good. If it is cooked ot the proper degree of doneness at this point (for my stuff anyway), then this will be fairly easy to do, however, if not done enough, that fat will be hard to remove from the point. I like to remove the fat, chop up the point, then sprinkle with rub and back in the cooker. I find trimmed meat is less chewy and more palatable in my opinion.

After I seperate the flat and point, I trim the point up really good. If it is cooked ot the proper degree of doneness at this point (for my stuff anyway), then this will be fairly easy to do, however, if not done enough, that fat will be hard to remove from the point. I like to remove the fat, chop up the point, then sprinkle with rub and back in the cooker. I find trimmed meat is less chewy and more palatable in my opinion.
For how long?

Two to 4 hours, depending on how crisp your like the edges. Anything over 2 hours gets a stir and another sprinkling of rub. Oh, and drainage is important, at least for my burnt ends any way. Some people like them with the fat in really big chunks and not crispy on the edges, i'm the opposite of that school of thought I guess.

What, you want ALL of our almost winning secrets??? lol

I got a good recipe from Lotta Bull... Do you want it? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

I trim my points and never separate them from the flat... They are done whebn the flat is done. They turn out good everytime... Unless if you are in Moweaqua, IL on a Sunday in June... Then they obviously suck... :shock:

I got a good recipe from Lotta Bull... Do you want it? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

I trim my points and never separate them from the flat... They are done whebn the flat is done. They turn out good everytime... Unless if you are in Moweaqua, IL on a Sunday in June... Then they obviously suck... :shock:
Good one, thanks for reading my blog:wink: :biggrin:

Back