Woot Corned beef Brisket soon ( low sodium version )

D

Derek

I've happened to stumbled on the Lake Leeland local paper, And found out they have Natural Beef & pork. They Butcher the animals then freeze the meats right after the butchers done.

How cool is that? No salt brine, no injections, no salt's but the salt from the animal.

So maybe I can have low sodium pastrami, corned beef / hash browns with scrambled eggs once again.

Wow this is good news :)

Don't want to burst your bubble Derek, but corned beef is brined in salt and other pickling spices. That is what "corning" is. It's an old world method developed before refrigeration was an option.

What's the closet thing I can have to corned beef? so I can have my dish again?

And thank you for telling me.

But, you do not need to corn the meat to get a good brisket for hash and eggs. Just get a brisket, rub it up with a good strong pepper rub and smoke it until done. Then cool it, dice and/or slice it up and make your hash. Once you get used to low sodium, even a little sodium from the rub will taste great.

But, you do not need to corn the meat to get a good brisket for hash and eggs. Just get a brisket, rub it up with a good strong pepper rub and smoke it until done. Then cool it, dice and/or slice it up and make your hash. Once you get used to low sodium, even a little sodium from the rub will taste great.
Thank you Land Arc, I will do that! and thanks for the idea!

Good advice Landarc. My son has been on a low sodium regimen for many years. Corned beef hash was one of his favorite dishes. I have replaced that with smoked brisket hash and he has learned to like that even better.

Originally, corning was the process by which meats were packed into barrels with salt and sometimes spices attributed to have preservative properties (they did not). The salt would leach out the liquid from the meat and it would form a brine that would then leach back into the meat with a saline content that both denatured some of the proteins in the meat and created a saline content unfavorable to decay. The use of certain salts allows for retention of the pink color, this is a relatively new part of the process.

We here in the US mostly use brisket and occasionally round roast for corning. Traditionally, any cut of meat that was lower in fat was preferred for long storage. Fat will not stay good for as long under corning processes. In fact. the smoking process, done low and slow, does a good job of denaturing proteins using heat instead of chemicals and drives moisture off as well. If you note a slightly over-cooked brisket, it's texture approaches corned beef that has been boiled for a good while.

Finally, I love brisket hash with salsa cruda and sour cream.

Thank you LandArc, I'll smoke another brisket soon but I'll use my celery juice brine.

Beyond my stunned silence about celery juice brine...have you looked into the sodium content of celery? I make a killer clam sir-fry that uses celery as the sole source of sodium other than the clams, it is gloriously briny, but, I can not longer eat it and talk to my doctor honeslty.

Beyond my stunned silence about celery juice brine...have you looked into the sodium content of celery? I make a killer clam sir-fry that uses celery as the sole source of sodium other than the clams, it is gloriously briny, but, I can not longer eat it and talk to my doctor honeslty.
Really?

This is what I found on severl websites about celery

"The average stalk of celery contains about 35 mg of sodium."

So I defently can do 1 stalk of celery with my sodium diet. And Landarc, Bro I'm not trying to step on your toes or anything else ok buddy?

I use at least one whole head, so that would be somewhere north of 400mg. Not one stalk, one stalk would be normal and fine. It is tasty stuff in moderation, you said celery brine and my mind went to some odd possibilities, my mistake.

I use at least one whole head, so that would be somewhere north of 400mg. Not one stalk, one stalk would be normal and fine. It is tasty stuff in moderation, you said celery brine and my mind went to some odd possibilities, my mistake.
Sorry for the confusion bro.

I used celery seed as the brine's main ingredient. And I'll be making my own juice out of a 4 stalks.

Ok 35mg sodium for each stalk and there is about 5-8 stalks on a head and times that with 4 heads how much sodium would that be?

So 2 heads would probably do a nice brine for 2 pounds of pork belly right?

Dunno, I do not like the taste of celery that much, so I never gave it much thought.

The info I found online about brining with celery juice stated that the brine liquid wa a concentrated celery juice. So I'm guessing you might want a few bunches of celery.

Don't want to burst your bubble Derek, but corned beef is brined in salt and other pickling spices. That is what "corning" is. It's an old world method developed before refrigeration was an option.

Hi kevin,

Just finished my 1st corned beef, and soaking the brisket in water for several hours (I changed the water twice) before cooking it removed a lot of the sodium. My wife is especially piccuyne on this, and she loved it!

Back