More Prime Rib Advice

W

Wine & Swine

Anyone have a ballpark time for a whole 22lb. (yes 22lb.) export standing rib roast I am cooking on Monday morning. I would like to start it on the smoker for a few hours than move to either the oven or onto my big gas grill indirect. I have to go to CT on Sunday and come home in the AM on Christmas so time will be tight. And yes, there will be left overs.
Thanks, John.

Not there aren't enough prime rib threads going, but I'm gathering about twenty min/lb as the average.

Thanks Joe, I usually go 15-20min/lb in the oven starting really hot (450+) and dropping to (350-375). What temp do you think? I am in trouble with time, have you ever partial cooked a rib roast (maybe hot smoke first). We need to eat around four and I have at least an 1 1/2hr drive Monday morning. Why do I do this to myself?

What if you cut it in half and cooked 2 11# pieces? Not as good looking but wouldn't that speed up the cook time?

Well I'm still debating some myself. I'm doing a pretty close timed meal for Christmas Eve dinner. I'm thinking I'll do a combo of what I've been reading.
I think I'll start high then damp down like Phil suggests, when it hits 135 or so, I think I'll cooler like Third eye suggests. I will then either finish on the grill, or pop in 500* degree oven just before serving time.

Thanks Joe, I agree that was what I was thinking. I was also thinking I could always remove the ribs and bump up the time quite a bit if I run out of time.

bbqjoe said:
Well I'm still debating some myself. I'm doing a pretty close timed meal for Christmas Eve dinner. I'm thinking I'll do a combo of what I've been reading.
I think I'll start high then damp down like Phil suggests, when it hits 135 or so, I think I'll cooler like Third eye suggests. I will then either finish on the grill, or pop in 500* degree oven just before serving time.

Joe, are you ok with 135°, it will rise some?

thirdeye said:
Joe, are you ok with 135°, it will rise some?
Actually I meant to type 125-130* allowing for a little temp rise along the way. I'm sure most don't want it as rare as I like.

p.s. How do you get a degree symbol to type?

I thought that temp sounded high, especially for you. LOL

For the °, hold down the "Alt" key and enter "248" on the number pad. (make sure the Num Lock is on) There is a list of all of the alt characters, I'll dig up a link and post it.

°cool °I like it °hotdam! °°°°°Woo-hooooooo!
Thanks, It's the simple things in life ya know.

Thanks guys, it looks like I will be right on as long as there is no traffic and I should have at least 1/2 an hour to let it rest.

Back