Chinese BBQ Ribs, no smoke here =`(

jeffie7

Knows what a fatty is.
My mother in law is full blown Vietnamese, like full blown in the sense that she can't speak any English and doesn't eat anything that isn't Vietnamese/Chinese or popeyes.... Yes she loves popeyes.

She always asking me to make these for her, she has to have them. Weird part is, I'm a white boy making Chinese style ribs. :D

7 Star Anise
1 Cup Hoisin
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Ketchup
1 Cup Sugar
2 TBS Rice Wine
1 tsp White Vinegar
1 TBS Wet Bean Curd
2 TBS Ground bean paste
1/4 Cup red food coloring (optional, I only use if doing making a party)

chinese-bbq-ribs-1993

1683d1308449385-chinese-bbq-ribs-img_6748.jpg

1681d1308449385-chinese-bbq-ribs-img_6740.jpg

2 parts base sauce. (what you made up top)
2 parts honey
1 part ketchup

Takes about 4-5 hours in the oven, then you finish them up on the grill or under a broiler.

It's nothing like American style BBQ, smoke? what's that? it's a full 180o swing from it. Very good and something I enjoy doing them to mix things up between normal American style BBQ.

Doesn't have a great bark to chew on but I do enjoy eating the white ends. They taste great with some Chinese BBQ sauce on them.

Those look delicious! I love Chinese style spare ribs but have never made them myself. I was just thinking about it the other night at work, I've got to try it!

Welcome to the club dude. My wife is from Hong Kong and her mum gave me a recipe I still use today. I used to do them on a gasser 20 years ago... strangely enough, since I joined the Brethren, I have not done them one single time.

I might have to change that!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

Bill

P.S. You really wanna blow the doors of that recipe... dunk em in a deep fryer full of peanut oil for a minute... you'll have the family fighting over it for sure...

Is there any reason you couldn't do these on the smoker?

I think it's a matter of experience Larry... You can do anything on a smoker. I can do most stuff on a smoker, and then some of us need some learnin.... no disrespect to anyone of course. That's what we are all here for!:thumb:

To me, that dish is screaming out for a run on a BGE...:cool:

Cheers!

Bill

I think it's a matter of experience Larry... You can do anything on a smoker. I can do most stuff on a smoker, and then some of us need some learnin.... no disrespect to anyone of course. That's what we are all here for!:thumb:

To me, that dish is screaming out for a run on a BGE...:cool:

Cheers!

Bill

That's not what I meant. It's not about skill level. Some ingredients don't take to smoke well. That's what I meant.

That's not what I meant. It's not about skill level. Some ingredients don't take to smoke well. That's what I meant.

Sorry for the misunderstanding Larry. Only meaning your question is even more pertinent... there's nothing in the recipe that won't take smoke (but you knew that huh!) :cool:

You know I come across recipes all the time I cook inside and I think... Dayam... I should a done that on the BBQ!:confused: and this is a case in point.

This recipe is gonna go on the BBQ next time... I'm sure.

Cheers!

Bill

I'm thinking smoked Chinese style spare ribs would be awesome. That's what I was thinking about one night at work recently.

If I smoked them, my mother in law would have kicked me in the nuts or at the very least would have talked chit about me in Vietnamese -_-

Yes you can smoke anything but I'm not looking for the flavor of smoke in these it would have taken me way off par in the flavor goal.

Don't get me wrong, it would be good, but any Chinese person would take a bite and say what white boy made these.

P.S. You really wanna blow the doors of that recipe... dunk em in a deep fryer full of peanut oil for a minute... you'll have the family fighting over it for sure...
I posted that on my website when I posted the recipe.

Here's what I said.

http://www.handsonkitchen.com/forum/asian-cuisine/chinese-bbq-ribs-1993/

P.S if you want these to taste like the ones you normally find in American style Chinese Restaurants, cut them into smaller pieces then deep fry them for a minute or two, then sauce.

This makes for a dry rib and isn't something I enjoy, but that is how you will normally get them from the local American Chinese Restaurants.

TIP when ordering ribs from a Chinese Restaurant, ask for them cold, with BBQ on the side. Go home and heat them on the grill and sauce them.

If I smoked them, my mother in law would have kicked me in the nuts or at the very least would have talked chit about me in Vietnamese -_-

I seriously doubt everyone in Vietnam has an oven, I see no reason these could not be cooked outdoors.

They can be cooked in a smoker and they taste great with some smoke. There is a funny thing about many folks from Asian and Oriental cultures, it may apply to Europeans too for all I know, which is that they really want to eat their home food a lot and they really do not want it messed with.

That being said, at least in China, there is a very long tradition of wood fired roasting ovens that actually have the meat roasted in the chimney and a clean smoke and higher heat is a large part of the flavoring. This type of roasting does not take as well to a low-n-slow approach. The manner in which the glaze sets and gets the proper texture requires higher temperatures. At lower tempertures, the glaze becomes gummy and the surface of the meat becomes tough, not a desirable combination. If you remove the bean paste (which I do) it then works better, but, the flavor is quite different.

Tim, the Vietnamese have had ovens for at least 130 years thanks to the French, remember French Indochina? In fact, Vietnamese do have roasted meat dishes now, that work great in Vietnamese bread rolls, in fact. Before that, many meats were roasted in large clay devices, similar to what the Japanese and Chinese used, by placing ceramic 'ovens' into charcoal fires. Later versions had the charcoal inside, I understand these types of charcoal 'ovens' work pretty well :p

There's a difference in smoking meats and cooking on indirect heat on a grill.

Besides these are Chinese =)~

Back