How do you season a new smoker??????

azfireman

Got Wood.
Reaction score
How do you season a new smoker??? Do I fill the water bowl up or just smoke dry?? Are any oils better then others?? Do I really need to take the bark off of the wood (hickery)? For how long and at what temps????
Thank you always your humble grasshopper,
Frank the tank

peanut or veg oil

paint it on, inside and out

get fire going. 400 degrees as long as you can (2hrs or 4). Its heat you want, forget hickory. Charcoal, lump, and oak

Good luck

no water bowl,
Spray the entire inside and out with a few cans of PAM if u dont want to use the brush/oil.

Alternate high heat and heavy smoke. Temps should get as high as 350-400. 3-4 hours. i use a pile of lump and throw in cold logs chunked up and damper down a little bit so they smoke before igniting, then open up the dampers to get the temps up.

the outside will be tacky for a week or 2 after seasoning, but water will bead off it which is a good thing. Eventually the tackiness goes away.

of course, after the first hour its ok to cook a few steaks and some kielbasa or fatties in the chamber to snack on. Newver waste heat and smoke. !

If you really want to get creative, put some onions in a food processor and run them till they are almost liquid, put them in the oil and paint that on, it adds a nice kick to the seasoning!

No need to get rid of the bark for seasoning and I reccomend against oiling the outside. I have never done that to any of my cookers. I have to hit the exterior of the firebox on occasion.

Wal Mart carries Royal Oak Lump $5.99 10 lb. bag
$5.27 in my locale. :tongue:

Target carries the new Kingsford lump for 6-something per 10# bag.

Great question. I learn something new every day. :eusa_clap

no need to season a WSM. Its porcelin coated.

as far as seasoning the outside goes.

Its in the instructions from Dave Klose. Seasoning the inside AND outside is in his instructions.

no need to season a WSM. Its porcelin coated.

as far as seasoning the outside goes.

Its in the instructions from Dave Klose. Seasoning the inside AND outside is in his instructions.

Thanks BBQ chef, did not mean for a thread hi-jack. Thanks Again, RIX

The only thign mesquite wood is good for (imo) is seasoning the smoker. It gets real hot.

Where can I find lump coal in AZ????? Any chain stores carry it???

BBQ's Galore sells lump... they are all over the place in phoenix area..tempe has one i believe...Lowes usually has it as well but sells out of it rather quickly

no water bowl,
Spray the entire inside and out with a few cans of PAM if u dont want to use the brush/oil.

Alternate high heat and heavy smoke. Temps should get as high as 350-400. 3-4 hours. i use a pile of lump and throw in cold logs chunked up and damper down a little bit so they smoke before igniting, then open up the dampers to get the temps up.

the outside will be tacky for a week or 2 after seasoning, but water will bead off it which is a good thing. Eventually the tackiness goes away.

of course, after the first hour its ok to cook a few steaks and some kielbasa or fatties in the chamber to snack on. Newver waste heat and smoke. !

Do you spray the INSIDE of the firebox too????

Back