First cook - Chicken and Brisket

samfsu

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey all. I just put together my WSM 18.5" and I'm thinking my first cook this weekend will be some chicken (breasts and drumsticks) and a packer brisket (will do burnt ends with the point).

So I was wondering if you think I can do the chicken and brisket at the same time? I am going to do the high heat brisket.

Also was wondering if it matters if the chicken is on the top grate and the krisket on the bottom?

Thanks in advance for all the replies as im sure there will be many :) The forum is a wealth of knowledge.

you're likely putting on the chicken much later than the brisket, so I don't think you want semi-raw chicken juices dripping on the beautiful bark you spent ours working on.

reverse them... or if you are someone who uses foil on briskets (personally not a fan of), only put the chicken on top after meat is wrapped

That is what i figured, chicken on bottom, maybe i will just do the brisket and then the chicken when it is done :).

I would do the brisket first then crank up the heat to around 375* and cook the chicken while the brisket rests. Just my opinion.
Good Luck!

Good idea little chief. I was thinking about that but i am pressed for time, the kiddies (2, 2 yr old girls) need to eat at 530 :) So I will put the chix on in about 30 minutes

I grill my chicken at a little higher temp 375* but I would say about 15-20 min for the breasts and a little longer for the legs but it will vary according to size.
Good Luck!

PRON:

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Back