Lazy Man's Rub?

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
I was thinking if someone was in an extreme hurry why couldn't you just add brown sugar to pre-mixed seasonings such as Emeral's or some other decent spice blend? It seems a lot of recipes for rubs are chili powder, garlic, onion etc with some brown sugar. Anyone ever just use or doctor up pre-mixed spice blends? Not counting pre-mixed rubs of course.

I have added brown sugar to Emeril's Essence. Instructions for that are actually on the Essence bottle (on the large size bottle I got at Sam's club.)

My goal in the near future is to not buy any rubs at all. I'm having a good time experimenting with my own concoctions.

I have and have used all of the McCormick brand rubs, they are all excellent and do not need any help. The sweet and spicy, pork and applewood are all my favorites from them.

A couple other fantastic stand alone store bought are the Chef Paul BBQ seasoning and Durkee brand Chicken and Rib rub! Both are excellent!

If you have two to three days to wait, go to Oakridgebbq.com and order the sample pack and find your favorite! ALL of their rubs rock!

I also like to go into my favorite little dives that make 'Q-anything and ask the cook for some of their rubs. Once they get to know you a bit, they usually won't hesitate to give you a baggie of their "secret stash" that'll last for a cook or two.

(by the way, this works for Chili, too!)

I have used Paul Prudhommes mixes, Montreal Steak and just jumbling a bunch of spices together with salt and pepper and it all works to some degree, often just fine. Of course, I tend to just use Simply Marvelous, The Rub Company, Dizzy Dust or Todd's Dirt since they are always laying around.

You very well could, any of the brethren rubs I have tried have been awesome, I also like barbiefunkywhatsitque's (sp) butt glitter, make a big batch of that goodness and you'll always have a good base on hand to tweak out with! Search butt glitter, the recipe is floating here somewhere, if not send me a pm, and I'll hook ya up ;)

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

I have a pretty decent rub for ribs and chicken I concocted and you are welcome to use it. Now this is the general base I started with. I find myself actually adding more brown sugar and about double cyan. Also, I use a magic bullet to grind and mix it all together. It makes it very fine and dusty but that is how I like it for the chicken and ribs.

3/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup fresh-ground pepper blend
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Store the remainder in a cool dry place.

:thumb:

+1 for McCormicks if you're feeling super lazy. Also for chicken wings you can't go wrong with Weber's Kickin' Chicken.

In all honesty though, rubs really aren't that hard/much effort to mix up yourself (only rub I buy anymore is the Kickin' Chicken for wings). The hardest part is finding which rub(s) you like, which still applies to store bought rubs, and besides it's the most fun part b/c you get to eat the experiments.

Pre-mixed spice blends are the same exact thing as pre-mixed rubs. :doh:
Oh sure, and what do you know about commercially available rubs? :becky: By the way, did you send my free sample bottles of the wing rub to Greenleaf BBQ yet? :heh:

My family consistently enjoys a doctored up version of one of the cheapest generic seasonings available over the expensive bbq rubs I've tried. It saves me a fortune.

I have a pretty decent rub for ribs and chicken I concocted and you are welcome to use it. Now this is the general base I started with. I find myself actually adding more brown sugar and about double cyan. Also, I use a magic bullet to grind and mix it all together. It makes it very fine and dusty but that is how I like it for the chicken and ribs.

3/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup fresh-ground pepper blend
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Store the remainder in a cool dry place.

:thumb:

i would imagine this would burn your face off! lol 2 tsp of cayenne and 2 tblspn of chili powder!!!! wow. i did a rub with a 10 tblspoons brown suger and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne and it was still a little hot!

i would imagine this would burn your face off! lol 2 tsp of cayenne and 2 tblspn of chili powder!!!! wow. i did a rub with a 10 tblspoons brown suger and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne and it was still a little hot!

the chili isnt where the heat comes from. honestly I get most of the heat inthis one from the black peper corns that I fresh grind. try it out once. you probably have like 7-$9 in ingreds and you can always dr it for how you like it.

I have Brethren rubs, store bought rubs and my own rubs. Just look to the pantry and see what excites me today. Even mix Brethren rubs, not in the bottle but on the meat.

You don't have to doctor anything. My plant manager makes excellent pulled pork using Cavenders' Greek Seasoning as a rub. Don't forget those fool Texican's think you can cook BBQ using Salt and Pepper. Ain't bad either.:laugh:

I feel normal now after reading this thread. It's like I can never get the same flavor twice!:eusa_clap

Well you all are going to laugh but I like Red Robin's seasoning. It's $3.00 a bottle and has lots of cumin and chile powder. I figured if I threw some brown sugar in it I'd have a decent rub.

Don't think I have ever made the same exact rub twice. I tend to use what is in the cupboard at the time. Sometimes that is separate spices, other times it is doctored pre-mixes and other times it is a mixture of both.

So far, all good

I don't understand why you would get in a big hurry to mix up a rub for an all day cook. Please explain.

Back