Someone HERE recently put me on to flat iron steaks AND .....

Q

Q_Egg

.... my only really decent butcher shop cut me two good looking fresh ones an hour ago. Since this was mentioned to me in the long tutorial you gave while doing my first Boston Butt, I'm not sure whether the idea is to grill them at high temp and very quickly, OR in a 'slow cook' method?

I did a 'search' but did not find what I need. Any good experiences out there??

T_B

You lucked out finding these steaks. Most of the big packers contract things like flat iron steaks and tri-tips to the big rrestaurant chains.
I have done them much the same as tri-tips. Rub, then a quick sear on the outside then indirect till 130º or so internal, tent with foil and rest for 20 min or so (if you can wait that long LOL), then thin slice cross grain.
They are sure good eating!

flatirons.jpg

The Flatirons, Boulder Colorado

TB, you can grill them, hot and fast--just like any other tender steak.
Flat Iron steak is the same as a Chuck Top Blade Steak. Only difference is it has been cut to eliminate the line of gristle that runs through the muscle. It is the Second most tender cut on a steer, and will grill great.

Of course, you can do it indirect, or even give it some smoke first, then sear.

Just don't over cook it, and enjoy.

Here's what I do, but it aint Que...

Ingredients

Flat Iron Steak

2 Chopped Shallots

2 oz Demiglace

3 oz Burgundy

2 oz Butter

Marinate the meat overnight in Olive oil and Fresh Thyme. Season with salt & pepper. Saute with in cast iron to your liking. Remove steak and top with a piece of butter and some shallot. Remove excess fat from the pan, add a spoon of chopped shallot, deglaze with the wine, reduce add the demiglace, reduce again add butter, shallot and drippings from the meat. Season to taste. I arrange some slices on a warm plate with the sauce and serve it with a baked Roquefort tomato.

Really great to get these tips on Mother's Day when many are ....

........really busy on family things! These Replies are about as diverse as I could expect, but all sound interesting and fun to work on until I develop my own choices.

Many thanks for helping ... the fire is getting started right now!

_T_B

That's got to be farking fantastic, Sami. Very very French.

I just get the grill very hot, and drop the meat on. Sizzle, sizzle, sizzle flip the meat and sizlle on the other side. move to an indirect area of the grill, let it rest, and tenderize to temp.....

Just finished 2 off for dinenr with the family....we is stuffed, and happy.

We is stuffed TWO !!!

Grill probably not hot enough ..... got real hot, then 'frau' (ok, it's Mother's Day) wanted to cook veggies (zucchini, red peppers, onions), grill down to 400*F, opened things back up .... going toward 700*F ... put two flats on, about 2 min per side + less than 2 min resting.

They were juicy, not too rare, some leftovers, but still need to learn how to do these. I've done tri-tips before, many times, and these were just not as tasty as I expected ... but very close......

Any thoughts other than to go the 'extended cook' route? Hey, at $3.99 /lb., I'm not complaining one bit. It's just that these steaks are not easy to get in many places, and I want to learn how to make them reach their 'very best' potential.

Regards,
T_B
-----------------------------------------

tommy_bandera said:
Grill probably not hot enough ..... got real hot, then 'frau' (ok, it's Mother's Day) wanted to cook veggies (zucchini, red peppers, onions), grill down to 400*F, opened things back up .... going toward 700*F ... put two flats on, about 2 min per side + less than 2 min resting.

They were juicy, not too rare, some leftovers, but still need to learn how to do these. I've done tri-tips before, many times, and these were just not as tasty as I expected ... but very close......

Any thoughts other than to go the 'extended cook' route? Hey, at $3.99 /lb., I'm not complaining one bit. It's just that these steaks are not easy to get in many places, and I want to learn how to make them reach their 'very best' potential.

Regards,
T_B
-----------------------------------------

FARK......700 farking degrees..:eek: :eek: :eek:

I noticed that the local grocery store had these in the meat case so I bought some. I'm going to grill them tonight as Ice suggested (That's my usual steak method) and we'll see how they turn out.

Krogers in Houston started carrying the Flat Iron in a cyrovac package. It' s now one of my favorites. It's very tender

Well I seasoned the flat iron steaks with some Dizzy Pig Steak Seasoning and grilled them. I seared them on each side for 1 minute over the hottest part of the grill, and then a few minutes off of the heat until they were medium rare. They were very good! I think a filet is more tender, and a ribeye has more flavor, but these were pretty darn good, especially for the price (about $4/lb).

We have become big fans of these flat iron steaks... They take most any marinade well... I like a good fajita marinade and then grill hot and fast to just short of medium... Still hot and pink on the inside. Slice and serve.

James.

Steak - Marinade in EV olive oil and crushed garlic in the fridge overnight, remove all traces of marinade from steak (garlic will burn and turn bitter), sprinkle with large pinch of barely crushed black peppercorns and fry/grill quickly over a very high heat. Rest (the steak!!!!)

Sauce (for two or one large helping!) This can be made before cooking steak and then when resting steak add juices to sauce and warm through before serving!.

Slug a little olive oil into the pan, add 1 onion sliced into rings kinds chunky, slowly fry (not adding colour) until they are soft and sticky, add 2-3 cloves crushed garlic and fry a little more, add good handful of mushrooms (sliced, or whole if small) and cook until they have slightly started to look cooked (but still firm), add a good shot of bourbon allow to boil slightly and light with match (or gas ring), once flames have gone add two cups of double (very think) cream & a slug of Worcestershire sauce (optional). Reduce until its the required consistency, add another shot (or two) of bourbon. Season.

Options - teaspoon or two of English Mustard can be added with cream, chopped fresh thyme also works well if added with mushrooms. Brandy can be used instead of Bourbon. Beer works well in cook.

Last edited:
Back