King Crab legs need help

Vince B

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My sons 13 birthday is today. He asked for a fillet, corn on the cob and twice baked potatoes. While I was at the store picking up all the fresh ingredients for the cook I decided I wanted to add a couple crab legs to the cook. Also we picked up a couple of rib-eyes for me and the misses! I will be doing this on my gasser and my question is how to make them?

I know that they are precooked so I figure I would defrost them in a pot of cool water and then toss them on the grill while I'm getting everything else made. Are there any guide lines I need to follow when doing this? Also can you just toss them on frozen and let them go? I have never made these but I sure like to eat them! Any help would be great. Thanks Vince

Last edited:
I just let them thaw in the fridge then smoke them til heated through. On my drum it takes about 30 minutes to heat them.
They won't take long on a grill.

Sounds like a nice feast! Happy Birthday to your son! :-D

As you mentioned...Crab Legs are always precooked; so all you ever
need to do, is just heat them up.

You can put them on still frozen; I would probably put them along the
front edge of the grill (it's cooler there) and that way they shouldn't
overcook.
I wouldn't soak them in water; as the meat could become mushy.
Serve them with melted butter for dipping.
You can add some garlic and pepper for more flavor; and if you want a
little kick; add some red pepper flakes to the melted butter.

I say make a flavored butter injection. I have no idea if that makes sense, but, it sure appeals to me.

In our area, we steam blue crabs smothered in a mix of equal parts Old Bay, salt, and black pepper. That mix works well on king crab legs too, if you want to skip the butter. If we want to dip them, we use vinegar alone or mixed with the seasoning.

Thanks for the advise guys and I will definitely keep it in mind for the future. My problem is I always do this last minute! Spur of the moment kind of thing. I put the claws in a bag with a bit of water for about 20 minutes. Then I read some of your replies and pulled them. I am going to finish them off on the top shelf of my gasser.

I do have some butter in a warmer thingy going right not so it should be nice for dipping. Hopefully I don't screw them up. I have the camera in action today so I'll make sure to post up some pron later.

Have to go get the double baked taters into the second stage. Thanks for the help. Vince

Back