Weber Smokey Joe

N

nralover

I just picked one of these up for my mother's birthday, she wanted something small for her apartment. Can you guys give me any tips for this? How much charcoal, do's and don'ts, etc? Thanks in advance...

Because of the size, I like to bank the coals to one side so I have a hot and warm zone. Doesn't need a lot of coal. Maybe 1/3 of a Weber chimmney or so. Great little smoker too for quick stuff like sausage and chicken parts. Toss a wood chunk on the coals, put the lid on and let it go. I don't mess with the vents on mine. I leave the bottom and top vents open. Smoked a small pork loin on my son's WSJ a few weeks ago and it did a great job. It's really just a small kettle. The only limit is the amount of meat it can cook.

Bob

Here's my son putting on a tutorial of sorts with his WSJ:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82350&highlight=boudin

These SJ's can crank out some real heat with the top off. I found you can control the heat quite nicely by placing the top back on it when it starts getting to hot, or leave it on and by adjusting the vents get a nice even heat.
Don't walk away from it, when I'm using the SJ I'm usually seated right next to it. Mostly use it for grilling. We just love it when camping, great rig,
BK.

Bob nailed it. When I used my WSJ I used it often for Pork Tenderloins - works great as a mini smoker as well as for grilling.

I just got a hold of a WSJ at a garage sale last Saturday.The lady had a price tag of $10 on including a 1/2 bag of charcoal.Took the lid off,and did not see a charcoal grate in it .I asked the Lady about it,she went to look for herselfe, and told me that she had no idea what happened to it.

She said that she would probably end up throwing it out. I was not even finished thinking to offer her at least $5 for it.She told me to take it if a wanted it and to also take the charcoal.
Thanks Mam, have a nice day and i was on my way.

Back