My Grandmother's Potato Salad (Photo + Recipe)

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So for 4th of July I made my Grandmother's Potato Salad. It's been a while since I had it. I wanted to make sure I had it right and to preserve the recipe [she's 88], so I gave her a call the other day and spent about 20 minutes on the phone writing it down.

It has russet potatoes, hard boiled eggs, red onion, sweet pickles, black olives and mayonaise in it among other things. It turned out great--was really yummy! (A friend of mine said he never saw potato salad with olives in it, but to tell you the truth my family has always put them in it and we think they're great!)

jqrztv.jpg

Grandma's Potato Salad

7 large eggs
8 medium sized russet potatoes [about 3 1/2 pounds], quartered (leave skins on for now)
1 can of black olives, drained
12 small sweet gherkins, sliced
1 large red onion, diced
mayonnaise to taste
sour cream (optional--replaces some mayonnaise)
salt to taste
paprika
freshly ground black pepper (optionally serve on the side)

Grandma's potato salad aversions:

• miracle whip
  • mustard
  • dill pickles (but she has been known to substitute the sweet for dill when asked--reluctantly)

Directions:

1. Hard boil the eggs and let them cool down to room temperature.
  2. Steam the potatoes until tender—steaming helps retain vitamins, minerals, flavor and shape. Let them cool down to room temperature.
  3. After the potatoes have cooled down, peel then dice them into about ½” cubes.
  4. After the eggs have cooled down, remove the shells of 6 eggs (reserving 1 egg for later use as a garnish). Chop the 6 eggs and add to the salad.
  5. Add in the olives, sliced sweet pickles and diced red onion.
  6. Add mayonnaise to taste, gently stirring/folding it in. (Optionally substitute some mayonnaise with sour cream.)
  7. Salt to taste
  8. Refrigerate overnight to let flavors meld and to determine the final amount of extra mayonnaise to add in if necessary (the potatoes & eggs absorb some of the moisture of the mayonnaise). Add a little more mayonnaise if needed. Add more salt if needed as well.
  9. As a final touch, take the reserved hard boiled egg, remove the shell and slice thinly along it's length. Then lay the slices on top in the center of the salad and sprinkle on some paprika, as a decorative garnish.
  10. Enjoy!

That looks great. My mom always added black olives to her potato salad, it is better with them. And kudos for preserving your families recipe

My grandmother made a similar tater salad. She always put celery seed in her salad.
It sure makes a huge taste enhancement IMHO!

Man that is just beaut!
Olives rock in potato salad, be strong..tell your friend he is a moron!:hand:
Made me salivate...almost made me cry!

I got a potato salad recipe from an Army friend of mine from Guam. In Guam they use black olives and pimentos. You can make it with or without onions, and it's still good.

Your Grandmother's recipe is excellent.

Man that is just beaut!
Olives rock in potato salad, be strong..tell your friend he is a moron!:hand:
Made me salivate...almost made me cry!

Nice try.. not here in my grandmother's recipe post. Welcome to my ignore list. You are beyond low.

I 'll give this a Shot. I grew up on a version of this same recipe but it had pickled beats and dice carrots in place of the olives & pickles Attributed to some travels by my Pappy to Venezuela back in the '30s.

Um, Aussie humor and vernacular can take a little getting used to, Geekess, as it can rub folks the wrong way. I'm sure Buccs meant no harm.

Anyway, love the recipe. I've been adding the black olives to my tater salad my entire adult life.

I 'll give this a Shot. I grew up on a version of this same recipe but it had pickled beats and dice carrots in place of the olives & pickles Attributed to some travels by my Pappy to Venezuela back in the '30s.

I'll have to try the beats and carrots.

That looks great. My mom always added black olives to her potato salad, it is better with them. And kudos for preserving your families recipe

After my friend said he'd never seen black olives in potato salad, I did a google image search on potato salad, and sure enough I saw like NO photos of olives in potato salad. Couldn't believe it heh. Talked to my mom on the phone last night and told her what I had found out from the google search and she said she has never ate potato salad without olives. (I think she got it from her mom, my grandmother.) Or maybe it is a California thing?

I've never seen olives in there. Going to have to try it. Looks like you come from a long ling of good cooks!

bbqgeekess,
Thank you so much for this post! I have put it on my BBQ Brethren "TO DO" list. For over a period of 20 years I sat down with my Mother and re-in acted her recipes. She would say, "Just follow the recipes I wrote down for you" but they never tasted the same. What I found is that we'd follow her recipes and she'd go to the cupboard unannounced, and throw something in that wasn't on her notes. I had to pay attention closely and would ask, " Hey what was that?". She'd say, "Oh nothing, I just like to throw in a couple little extras". THAT'S why her's was better! I learned to go through each recipe, one by one, with her at my side and write it down. She passed away 3 years ago at 91. I'm so glad I got the real recipes before she passed.
Again, thank you!
Gerry

bbqgeekess,
Thank you so much for this post! I have put it on my BBQ Brethren "TO DO" list. For over a period of 20 years I sat down with my Mother and re-in acted her recipes. She would say, "Just follow the recipes I wrote down for you" but they never tasted the same. What I found is that we'd follow her recipes and she'd go to the cupboard unannounced, and throw something in that wasn't on her notes. I had to pay attention closely and would ask, " Hey what was that?". She'd say, "Oh nothing, I just like to throw in a couple little extras". THAT'S why her's was better! I learned to go through each recipe, one by one, with her at my side and write it down. She passed away 3 years ago at 91. I'm so glad I got the real recipes before she passed.
Again, thank you!
Gerry

I'm glad you got the recipes from your mother. :) My grandmother did the same with her mother (she had her write them all down). Your mother was so sneaky adding in those extra lil ingredients here and there, glad you caught them all (or the ones you know of that is--hehe). She sounds like she was an awesome mother! Happy she had a long life :)

This potato salad is beautiful in its simplicity. I plan to make it today and serve it with burgers and hotdogs. Can't wait.

This potato salad is beautiful in its simplicity. I plan to make it today and serve it with burgers and hotdogs. Can't wait.

Cool :) When are you going to serve it? It tastes best when the flavors have melded overnight or for at least several hours.

And, it's good warm even before the flavors meld together. Mine has onions with, youngest son who has to work tonight, I have set some aside without onions. It's still good!! I could make this a meal with some fresh green beans on the side, and a piece of cornbread!! Had large olives, so had to slice them in half.

Do you have any more of your grandmother's recipes that you would like to share?

Back