Blues Hogs or Not?

Kernscookin

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I don't make my own sauce though I should. I do make my own rubs but not sauce. I keep seeing reference to Blues Hog sauces. Are they that good or can anyone offer suggestions to different sauces I can try? I usually use Sweet Baby Rays and doctor it up but I'm getting tired of it. Open for suggestions. Have tried Stubbs, Neelys and several others.

I think Blues Hog overall is very good, but too sweet for my taste. I like to cut it with jalapeno jelly. The consistency is fantastic if you like a thick sticky sauce. I've been loving it on MOINKs lately. Their new Smokey Mountain stuff is good too.

Blues Hog original = not.

Try Spicewine's Sweet Heat it's farkin good.

Blues Hog is a very good sauce. It has a flavour profile unlike anything you'll get in the store. You should definitely try it, at least for the experience of trying it.

That said, my wife loves it. My local grocer used to carry it, but stopped so I've been ordered to order it online. I think it is good, but it is too sweet for me. Even cut down, just too sweet. I call it the "candy sauce".

Every BBQ cook should have Blues Hog handy. However, it is rich and sweet and is best, IMO, when cut with something like Blues Hog TN Red or AJ or as gtr mentioned above.

If you want something different to doctor up or mix with another sauce, get some Scott's Carolina style sauce. It's different and very tasty.

I really liked Blues Hog, but had to order it in Maine. I haven't ordered any since making Dr. BBQ's Big Time BBQ Sauce. It's easy to make, and tastes great.

Yes, I cut mine with Head Country or BH Tennessee Red. Love it on ribs.

I needed to shake up my BBQ-I was getting burnt out on my own stuff! A friend recommended Blues Hog, so far I've only tried the original sauce and love it, it has a smokey flavor but doesn't just taste like liquid smoke. Being in Columbia MO, 60 miles from it's origin, our stores have the full line. I'm going to try them all.

Do you have to order it online or is there anyone who sells it?

I ordered Blues Hog from Simply Marvelous along with some of Steph's Sweet Seduction. As many have said, BH is very sweet so if you like your sauce on the sweet side, get some. I'll use it as a finishing sauce on ribs ~ I tried it on Dougherty wings but I didn't care for it. BTW, I purchased BH Smokey Mountain.

Personally, I don't care for Blue's Hog Original. The Tennessee Red is okay but I think it's more like a Carolina vinegar sauce. Do we use them in competition - yes. Judges seem to like it so we use it.

BH is definitely unique in taste - personally, I prefer the Tennessee Red over the Original. They also have a new smoky sauce out that tastes a lot like the original with some liquid smoke added - I'm not a fan of that one at all.

You should at least try the Original or the Tennessee Red once and determine if you like it.

I mix blues hog original with the tennessee red , and it is awesome! I get mine from simply marvelous. Try it you will really like it. I think it is better than some of the other sauces that were mentioned here.

I buy it by the gallon... BUT it's just for competition, I really like it and have a few of my friends turned on to it. After trying it, there are few other sauces that give any burst of flavor that compare to it, but they are out there. Myself, I'm getting kinda burnt out on it, and I've read were judges were getting tired of it. I DO PROMISE that you will not regret trying it. Just mix and experiment if you think its too sweet.

I bought some and didn't like it the first try, it was too sweet. Tried it again this week on some chicken and the taste is growing on me. Definitely try some. I will cut it with something next time.

I dont know of anything else like it. Most of the sauces that you mentioned have artificial smoke in them, whereas BH only now released a sauce with smoke flavor.

Original is *ok*, but rather sweet for my palate. However, mixed with other things it's AWESOME. Like said above, mixed with Tenn Red is darned good.

Back