No overnight for this guy!

All three butts pulled off in 8 hours. I also didn't inject this time, new for me. 2 are in the cooler for a couple hours and I just pulled 1. 8 hours verses 12-16 hours, hmmmm. I like the taste and tenderness. I might not be injecting from now on.
Can't wait to try this on brisket.

All three butts pulled off in 8 hours. I also didn't inject this time, new for me. 2 are in the cooler for a couple hours and I just pulled 1. 8 hours verses 12-16 hours, hmmmm. I like the taste and tenderness. I might not be injecting from now on.

what temp did you pull them at and did you wrap ?

Its funny you mention that about the injection and maybe not doing it anymore.

Normally for my family, I do not inject. I collect juice, separate fat and reuse juice. After pulled, it is devoured!! Very little left over if any ever. (We are not hogs lol I only cook butts when my in-laws are over so we have help eating).

The one time I did inject, I used flat Dr Pepper as I have read many times except I mixed in my dry rub as well. It cooked a lot faster but was kind of mushy and crappy in the middle to be honest. I no longer inject unless asked by someone to do so. I have some creole butter to use but am afraid to inject again.

*EDIT**

DOH!! And I forgot to add, them butts are looking choice! Nice job!!

Last edited:
I got up at 6:15am. I prepped the pork then lit the fire around 6:45. The meat went on at 7:30am. All three butts were done by 3:15pm.
My damper will be opened up all the way from now on.
I still used 2 splits and still got 45min - 1 hour between adding wood.

Moral to the story

I don't give a hoot how you cook it ain't done till it's done applies in every case. I have done much worse and made it work more than once.

Back