First Brisket, Success!

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Sorry, no pics. It was too hectic with 3 people in the kitchen. I have stayed away from brisket for the longest time because it seems like everything I read makes it sound like you have to ruin 10 or 15 briskets before you get it figured out. I couldn't get my tired butt out of bed till 6am and dinner was at 5pm. So I had no choice but hot & fast. I decided to go with a twist on Myron Mixon's method. I skipped the pan, injected a cup and a half of strong beef broth, rubbed it with a salt free brisket rub and coarse sea salt. I cooked it on my offset with mesquite lump and chunks at ~350. Wrapped at 160 (2 1/2 hours) and pulled at 208. Stuck it in a pre-heated Coleman party stacker and wrapped the whole cooler with a thick blanket. After it rested for about 2 1/2 hours I used a baster to suck out nearly 4 cups of juice. Even then it was still very juicy when I cut it up. Easily the juiciest piece of beef I've ever smoked. This is how I will be smoking beef from now on when I use my offset.

Wait! I thought if you cook higher than 225 degrees, you will dry out your meat! Myth busted once again!

cooking temp higher seems to pull the juice to the surface sooner..and yes you nailed by resting..it sucks it back in
..and remember hi or low temps...when its done its done and resting is the key!

I was talking to my cuz in Arkansas who told me his brisket always comes out tough. I told him what I did and he said he does pretty much the same thing except the resting part. I'm amazed at the difference resting makes. This is how I will be doing beef from now on.

Sounds like a plan comes together. And if you read The Brethren posts from the forums brisket masters, there is never a need to ruin multiple briskets.

Sounds like a plan comes together. And if you read The Brethren posts from the forums brisket masters, there is never a need to ruin multiple briskets.

Although I don't read many brisket threads it seems like a lot of the titles are pleading for help. I need to read more. I do love this forum though.

I read a lot also, there is a lot of knowledgeable folks on here! Oh good job on the brisket!

Congrats! If you follow the old farker's advice on these forums then you're way ahead of the learning curve and wasted meat. Then there's nothin to it but to do it like you just did.

resting helps hamburgers, chicken, EVERYTHING thats cooked needs to rest..something like me on a saturday night...cooked..then rest..

Back