Shirley Fabrication or Stumps RF Smoker

bigsho26

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Have an SF for sale in my area, and have a Stumps RF for sale in my area. I was told the Stumps RF has an insulated Firebox and insulated cooking Chamber with the door.

I have seen the Stumps in person and they look like they hold up well in person. I know SF has a 3-year wait list. Looking for the functionality of RF with capacity.

Any information helps. Which is better

What sizes are they? I can only speak to the SF. You would not be disappointed in it.

Two different styles of cooking but both deliver excellent results and have superior workmanship. One cooker has a little bit better of a smoke profile but you will be throwing sticks on every 45 minutes. The other a similar profile but is set it and forget it. I personally favor the stumps. I enjoy my sleep and being able to concentrate on the cook and not cooker. You can't go wrong with either of those manufacturers.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I've own both, both put out great bbq and has won many awards on both. I still regret selling my Stumps, but it was a little small being a GF 222 CM. Choices are great.

What do you have now, and what have you cooked on in the past? My Shirley puts out the best food of any cooker Ive owned, and Ive had a ton. It is also my first and only stick burner. That being said, I am not always in a position I can tend a fire right now so I use it selectively.

I know have a stumps BXL, CLassic. Wanting a SF just for the cooks that tending the fire. I would use the Stumps for overnight cooks.
I know with a stick burner the flavor is more pronounced so Ive heard. Looking to make a splash if I can get to it, and get both.

I have many cookers.BGE,WSM all sizes,Weber Kettle,Shirley Fab,BLACKSTONE griddles.They all have their place,depending on what I am cooking.But as far as smoked BBQ,(Beef,chicken,or pork) none of them can match the taste of the protein that the Shirley delivers.That is just my experience.

As above, it boils down to how you want to cook. Do you enjoy the process or the result or both. I have a Shirley and love it. I really enjoy the fire management aspect of it. Occasionally, depending on the timing of when things need to be ready, I'd like the ability to overnight without tending it but this is the exception not the rule.

I think you have to ask yourself if you want a stickburner or a cabinet. The two couldn’t be more different in almost every way down to the fuel they use. I’d vote Shirley without knowing much else just because I like bbq cooked on a stickburner significantly more than charcoal. There’s a purist approach that I love cooking with fire.

Nothing tastes better and has the color and textures of real hard wood smoked meat, and no one builds a pit that cooks like a Shirley does.

You aren't doing this in a box full of charcoal and restricted airflow...

xz91awzl.jpg

See how nice that sausage casing has browned and tightened up? That's the magic of the lower cooking grid in a reverse flow cooker you get radiant heat and a constant smoky sizzle from the meat juices and fat hitting the hot RF plate.

And Shirley does it right with 3/8" steel above the fire, I cooked and catered for years on another popular manufacturers RF pits that uses 1/4" and the Shirley pits are superior in construction and materials in every conceivable way and they make better BBQ.

Side dishes cooked in a RF wood fired pit are delicious, you can't make a better pan of pit beans any other way the taste after 3 hours in the wood smoke is off the chain.

Before:
6wXjtoCl.jpg

After:
xk3Yo5pl.jpg

Ever had ears of corn soaked and wood smoked for 2-3 hours?

I've watched 115 pound soccer moms chisel off half a dozen ears and make sounds like barnyard animals at the trough doing it the stuff is to die for good and the magic happens with the amount of airflow and hot gasses a superior wood fired pit design provides.

You can use a hand sprayer to keep corn moist on the pit while it's cooking, the water drops just hit the RF plate and make delicious smoky steam.

t0GryEel.jpg

That's a couple pounds of bacon in the pic on the lower grate cooking and sizzling for a pan of beans just above the RF plate getting crispy.

Some more of the corn cooking and finishing:

yYLQtfgl.jpg

sbHNSrcl.jpg

Airflow matters when you cook pit treats with bacon, these poppers are off the top rack of a Shirley start to finish and it's thick sliced Costco bacon that cooked perfectly and crispy.

HQtRHjxl.jpg

Does anyone not love pulled pork and brisket? You can cook 17-18 pound packers in 5 hours on a Shirley and right at 45 minutes per pound for butts and beat down anyone else cooking on anything else with the BBQ you'll turn out with hot and fast cooks.

SFKNRCTl.jpg

There's only one drawback to all of this, you have to wait your turn over the course of three years to own one, and it's worth the wait.

Unless your lucky enough to find a used one for sale...

Nothing tastes better and has the color and textures of real hard wood smoked meat, and no one builds a pit that cooks like a Shirley does.

You aren't doing this in a box full of charcoal and restricted airflow...

xz91awzl.jpg

See how nice that sausage casing has browned and tightened up? That's the magic of the lower cooking grid in a reverse flow cooker you get radiant heat and a constant smoky sizzle from the meat juices and fat hitting the hot RF plate.

And Shirley does it right with 3/8" steel above the fire, I cooked and catered for years on another popular manufacturers RF pits that uses 1/4" and the Shirley pits are superior in construction and materials in every conceivable way and they make better BBQ.

Side dishes cooked in a RF wood fired pit are delicious, you can't make a better pan of pit beans any other way the taste after 3 hours in the wood smoke is off the chain.

Before:

6wXjtoCl.jpg

After:

xk3Yo5pl.jpg

Ever had ears of corn soaked and wood smoked for 2-3 hours?

I've watched 115 pound soccer moms chisel off half a dozen ears and make sounds like barnyard animals at the trough doing it the stuff is to die for good and the magic happens with the amount of airflow and hot gasses a superior wood fired pit design provides.

You can use a hand sprayer to keep corn moist on the pit while it's cooking, the water drops just hit the RF plate and make delicious smoky steam.

t0GryEel.jpg

That's a couple pounds of bacon in the pic on the lower grate cooking and sizzling for a pan of beans just above the RF plate getting crispy.

Some more of the corn cooking and finishing:

yYLQtfgl.jpg

sbHNSrcl.jpg

Airflow matters when you cook pit treats with bacon, these poppers are off the top rack of a Shirley start to finish and it's thick sliced Costco bacon that cooked perfectly and crispy.

HQtRHjxl.jpg

Does anyone not love pulled pork and brisket? You can cook 17-18 pound packers in 5 hours on a Shirley and right at 45 minutes per pound for butts and beat down anyone else cooking on anything else with the BBQ you'll turn out with hot and fast cooks.

SFKNRCTl.jpg

There's only one drawback to all of this, you have to wait your turn over the course of three years to own one, and it's worth the wait.

Unless your lucky enough to find a used one for sale...

Man, this post almost has me listing all of my cookers on CL for a Shirley!! ;)

^^^
InThePitBBQ "I've watched 115 pound soccer moms chisel off half a dozen ears and make sounds like barnyard animals at the trough"

I like to see someone try and to top that line today!! Great post top to bottom

^^^
InThePitBBQ "I've watched 115 pound soccer moms chisel off half a dozen ears and make sounds like barnyard animals at the trough"

I like to see someone try and to top that line today!! Great post top to bottom

I knew some Shirley owner's would appreciate that! We can sit back and wait for the pics of all the variety on Stump's pit's now :p

I forgot a closeup of bacon cooked on a Shirley Fab, here's some more reverse flow Pron for the undecided.

HpjWaazl.jpg

Back