First burn on the HD closeout WSM

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I am still excited. I just love to get a good deal! Thanks again to the Brethren for helping me get this brand new 18.5" WSM for a song.

So, I decided a Fattie was in order to give the WSM a nice smell and grease coat.

So, I got out the weed burner and roasted the skins on several Pasilla peppers and Jalapenos. The I cleaned up the peppers and sliced 'em up.

I layed out a bacon weave on a piece of butcher paper.
I then flattened a Jimmy Dean (hot) roll in a zip loc bag. When really flat and filling the bag, I cut the bag off and lay it on top of the bacon weave.

Then I threw in the peppers and gave a liberal layer of grated sharp cheddar. Then I rolled it up and trussed it like a turkey.....just for the heck of it.

Oh, also gave it a big sprinking of John Henry's Maple Sugar Rub
Preppedonthecounter.jpg

The WSM is putting out sweet blue smoke so it is time.
WSMandotherBBQs.jpg

Time to pull it!
pulltemp.jpg

The money shot!
Firstslice.jpg

I've had to cut way back on my meats (cholesterol issues) so my neighbors love me. I had one piece and it was delicious. This was the first time I didn't have a blow out, i.e. cheese all over the place.

I have to say that the WSM is maybe even better than I expected. The convection was great with uniform heating and rock solid temp stability. Maybe it was the 3 shovel loads of sand that I put it the water pan...

Thanks for looking.

Beautiful, Marty! Santa's supposed to leave an 18.5 under my Christmas tree this year, and I look forward to doing exactly what you did here! You sure know how to make a man hungry, too! Thanks for the beautiful pron, brother! :thumb:

Congrats on the awesome score Marty. Nothing is as good as a screaming deal. Beautiful fatty too. Have a great turkey day:thumb:

I'd be jealous Marty, but I got a 22.5WSM with YOUR handles on it!:thumb:

That fatty though is pretty gooooood!

Cheers!

Bill

Geez fella's he only just got it outta the box and trialled it....you can't put the handles on till it proves worthy!:wink::-D

No custom Marty Leach handle on that WSM? WTH!?

Good looking fattie and a fitting first cook.

I'll be doing fatties and ABTs on one of my 'beater' WSMs tomorrow.

The naming ceremony didn't happen, yet.

Back