Please Help! Need Creative Ideas for Leftover Smoked Turkey

likeadeere

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Or basic ideas. I spend all this wonderful time prepping and smoking this 18 lb turkey, but just like last year i have waaaaay too much leftover and I'm getting a bit tired of turkey sammiches. :eusa_clap I know, I know. I shouldn't say that, but I can only eat so many sammiches. So please throw me some ideas, or maybe a link.

Thanks all!

joe

Turkey pot pie comes to mind, turkey soup is another one, turkey a la King?

Check out the Leftovers Throwdown that just ended. I believe just about every entry dealt with turkey to a point.

Burritos, tacos, enchiladas, tamales, chili..... it's all good.

Turkey tomato and cheese omelets are pretty darn tasty too. Toss in some green chili sauce, mmmmm..!

Did two new things with leftover turkey this year:

1) Turkey fried rice. We've taken to really liking chicken fried rice with leftover smoked chicken b/c the smokiness adds back in a bit of that 'wok-hei' that it's so hard to get at home. It worked just as well, if not better, with turkey.

2) Sausage and turkey gumbo. Again instead of using chicken in our regular gumbo I just swapped in the smoked turkey. It was great.

There's also the ever classic turkey sandwiches, or turkey instead of chicken in chicken salad.

Check out the Leftovers Throwdown that just ended. I believe just about every entry dealt with turkey to a point.

Yep, including leftover turkey and sausage gumbo...

picture.php

Click here to see the entries, and click on the entry titles to see how they were made...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121599

CD

When you make that gumbo, take the smoked turkey carcass and boil it down all day to make a stock. I've been using stock like that the last couple times I made gumbo- it's worth it!

Smoked Turkey Salad like Myrdhyn mentioned... A little ground turkey, mayo and stuff. I've used S&P, celery seed or fresh celery, fresh diced onion, rub, etc... What ever turns your crank. You can take it up notch by grilling it with a little butter. Cheers!!!

Same thing here so took a slice of wheat toast, I know, bread, some leftover mashed potatoes smoked turkey and covered it with home made gravy. YUM YUM!!! :thumb:

LindaIinFLBBQ12-3-11018.jpg

Go get a sourdough baguette from the bakery
Slice baguette into 1/2 inch disks (IE Mini Pizza's)

Spread your favorite bbq sauce lightly on the disks

Add some cut up pieces of turkey.

Add your favorite grated cheese.

Garnish with green onion pieces.

Broil until cheese melts.

Simple and DELISH!

+1 for the turkey salad. They wifey and I made smoked chicken salad a few weeks back. Awesome smoke flavor. Put that on some sourdough bread and I was in heaven.

Enjoy.

I like using mine to make collard greens. Less greasy than ham hocks or bacon.

Awwww how did I miss this and/or not think of it. After trying the PP pockets and absolutely loving them, I shoulda thought of this. I even had a pie crust in the fridge that would have worked well for the crust :\ Totally kicking myself....but it's an excuse to smoke another turkey so can't complain too much.

Back