WSM Maiden Voyage

tommykendall

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
After a year and a half in the box, my WSM finally has some meat on it. An 8# boneless butt. Looks like it's burning real well outside. Not sure how I'm going to cope with this virtually unattended cook.

Wow - I' love this cooker. Been burning steady for 6 hours - probably has another 2 or more in her. Also love this weather 78 degrees, shorts and tee.

Going on 9 hours and still holding 225. Butt is wrapped and just under 190.

I pulled it after 9.5 hours and reading 192. Pit temperature was still 210+. Unbelievable. Think I loaded about 6#'s kingsford, supplemented by about 10 or so chunks of oak and hickory. Butt is now in the cooler until about 6:30pm

Think I loaded about 6#'s kingsford, supplemented by about 10 or so chunks of oak and hickory.

That sucks! I had 3 orders to cook for this weekend. I knew the wind was going to shift from the west to the north as the cold front moved in, but i did not expect what that cold wind and light rain was going to do to my cook.
Normally 20 lbs of charcoal will do me for a 12-14 hour cook.....this one took 50 lbs and took 18 hours! Had to empty the ashpan 3 times.

I love my WSM - I have done several overnight smokes - starting after the kids get to bed. I have gone 16+ hours without having to add additional fuel. After that....temp wasn't monitored, but, I know it was over 200 for quite some time. Unbelievable efficiency in that sucker! Lacks the capacity but still produces some incredible BBQ.

Smokeem

If I wasn't in Florida this weekend, I would been there with ya TK.

What are ya gonna do if you can't be pit bitch?

hey Big AL...Welcome!!!.. go over to cattle call and introduce yourself. :)

Where ya been hidin~~??

Trying to survive! No time to Q or post, building my business.

What are ya gonna do if you can't be pit bitch?

I won't give up on the 'Dera - not at least for awhile. I love that machine too despite the babysitting.

tk, how did it taste?

I've done better but it went over real well at the party.

Santa, TK needs the real WSM water pan like Phil and I have. 12 hours on a Phil up.

Pass it on

willkat98 said:
Santa, TK needs the real WSM water pan like Phil and I have. 12 hours on a Phil up.

Pass it on

14 hours with sand..... :)

More than 9.5, right? You "pulled your meat" at 9.5 with the WSM still holding temp. Any idea how
much longer the temp held?

More than 9.5, right? You "pulled your meat" at 9.5 with the WSM still holding temp. Any idea how
much longer the temp held?

That's correct. Pit temp was about 210 when I pulled it but I haven't a clue how long it lasted. Probably not too long before it dipped under 200 - that's just as good as dead unless you're doing fish and maybe cheese (never tried that yet)

You have two rigs? What are the advantages/disadvantages of a WSM vs. a Bandera?

Back