Smoking a Pre-Cooked Ham - How Long?

S

slider9499

Ok - this may be a bit redundant but my wife (Lord, help me), bought a 9 pound, semi cooked ham. Now she wants me to smoke it in my Weber. I never smoked a pre-cooked anything before so I thought I'd come here and see what you guys think?

I don't think it is bone-in.

I live on Long Island and the temp here today is around 80 or so degrees. The ham is currently in the freeezer.

Any suggestions or ideas on this one?

Thanks,

slider

Are you Talking about a Weber Charcoal Grill? If so, Light about 25 Charcoal Brickets and pile them on one side of the Charcoal Grate. Make a Smoke Packet with Soaked Hickory Wood Chips in a Tin Foil Ball about the size of your hand and poke holes in the ball, placing it upon the lit Charcoal. I would rub the Ham with Olive Oil and Crushed Rosemary and Place it on the Cooking Grate opposite the lit coals. Insert digital temp probe in Ham, Avoiding Bone, and cook until 145* internal.
You'll have to add 7-10 lit coals every hour or so until it's done. Good Luck with your cook. Here's a pic of One I Smoked on my DrumSmoker a few weeks back:
attachment.php

And have you been to The CattleCall to introduce yourself?

I do these all the time. Start with a thawed ham. Smoke for about 4-6 hrs. at about 225. Easy peazy.

Yes, my Weber Bullet Smoker is what I have. Typical tall, black looking thing :-D

Ill buy the spiral sliced hams from time to time, that comes w/ the glaze packet. You can also pour a cup of brown sugar on it and a can of Dr pepper. Baste the ham w/ that...good stuff!

I do these all the time. Start with a thawed ham. Smoke for about 4-6 hrs. at about 225. Easy peazy.

This is a great way to do it.

(Except don't put it under your spam candy, like some people do)

Yes, my Weber Bullet Smoker is what I have. Typical tall, black looking thing :-D
Then Disregard My Response About How To On a Weber Grill. That's a Different Setup All Together. Perhaps a Brethren With More Experience With This Smoker will Respond Shortly:wink:

What he said. It's already cooked, so I don't take them past 135* or 140* internal so it doesn't dry out.

What if the ham has already been smoke? Is it too much?

Never had that problem. A ham is so think that it is hard to get it too smokey. Yes, the edges will be smokier though.

I have 2 words for you, do a search on Dr. Chickens double smoked ham. Make sure you use a good instant coffee when you make the glaze and don't forget the sweet kiss of death injection.

I am sure Neil will have something to say for sure.

Oops, that was more than 2 words huh?

Jeff

Back