Rub Suggestions, Please???

The Best Rub since sliced bread.

20200324-211354.jpg

Wow...that's more than I expected. So many choices...Thank you everybody, now I just have to choose...

Bulloch BBQ Pork Rub is sugar free and definitely leans towards the savory side. Full disclosure, it is our rub, but we've received good reviews/results if it's something you're interested in.

I really like alot of Oakridge's offerings. Order directly on their site and if you're patient they have alot of killer deals like 20% off. They're pricey because they're high quality ingredients so 20% can save you alot.

I love Killer hogs on ribs. Amazing color

Yardbird is great on chicken and just about anything else.

I've enjoyed myron's Butt rub on pork shoulders. I like that there's no sugar in that one because I like cooking them naked the whole way and they don't turn into a complete meteor black. They finish with nice solid brown bark with good simple flavor.

oakridge bbq makes great stuff.

I also really like the simply marvelous lineup

Naturrific has good rubs, Q-salt is top notch

honorable mention to kosmos Q

These are what I have now. All of them are good on pork and not sweet. Salt Lick and Naturiffic are the best for ribs. My wife and I are huge fans of Oakridge Dominator, Secret Weapon and competition Beef and Pork, both with sweetness but not overly sweet at all.

Last edited:
I just used Santa Maria on pork chops today. Very good savory with a bit of a kick

I really am blown away with Oakridge wild game/poultry seasoning for birds or Santa Maria.
Simply Marvelous pecan for pork.
Cavenders for fish or chicken.
Shapleys (local) for steak or Oakridge carne crosta /santa maria for beef.
Hoover’s (from Mississippi Delta with an oriental hang) is a great pork marinade.

If you're looking for a savory profile, an easy one to find is McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning. I love it on beef (briskets and rib roasts) and was pleasantly surprised when I experimented with it on a pork butt.

Let me second the suggestion of Cavenders seasoning. An ole boss of mine made excellent pulled pork using nothing but Cavenders for seasoning.

Back