Spares and babys

K-Train

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Kind of a random maybe silly thought. Not saying I'd do tis, but I am curious.... Anyone ever turn in baby's and spares in the same box for KCBS? To me it seems like a silly thought, but can't really say why. Anyone got any reasons why it would be silly?

I think if you turned in both and one of the judges really preferred BB's, and didn't get one, that judge might feel like he got cheated out of the good stuff.

I would only do it if you can fit 6 of each in the box. But, that's unlikely unless you get very small ribs :-D

I've seen it done on judging tables twice this year. One time, 8 ribs total 4 of each. Last time, 6 of each. I chose a BB rib each time and scored it. As a cook, I thought it was pretty gutsy.

I've seen it done on judging tables twice this year. One time, 8 ribs total 4 of each. Last time, 6 of each. I chose a BB rib each time and scored it. As a cook, I thought it was pretty gutsy.
Yeah, not sure I have the guts. I'm not what you would call a brave man. If I did though I'd try to get 6 of each in.

Which is the best ribs?
Remember, as a judge you must take all into account.
If one is good, but the other is not as good, you score is based on the not so good.
You best give all 6 judges the chance at both style of ribs.
If you where to turn turn in 6 slices of brisket but only 4 burnt ends, what would you do as judge 5 and 6?
I would stick to my best every time.

Back