Ground Cayenne Pepper for rub - Scoville unit choices - need some input

MilitantSquatter

I'm working on two new rubs and I went to spicebarn.com to buy some things... When I got to cayenne pepper several options existed based on the heat index which left me unsure....20K, 40K, 60K, 90K, 130K, 160K in the past I bought cayenne elsewhere and did not have or recall options on the scoville scale so I don't know which would be ideal for the rub.

I'm was tentatively planning to use approx 1 teaspoon in a total 6 cup finished rub as it will be complex with other ingredients.. . certainly not looking for the intense heat so I know the high end (90K-160K) is out.... I'm thinking the 20K, 40K or 60K would be most desirable but even with those three I'm not sure if 20K is too mild, 60K too hot and maybe 40K just right or is even 40K going to overwhelm ?

Any experience using different scoville indexes for dry rubs ?

Thanks !

Never made anything based on scoville units. Get a mid ranged rating and add it until it tastes right :)

I've used 40K in rubs before without issues. You can always adjust if you end up with 20K or 60K to get to the same result.

I can't help on the scoville rating. However, I have noticed that a lot of good competition teams use a rub that is pretty hot. In fact, some of them are a lot hotter than one would expect.

Personally, when things get hotter than a jalapeno, it's starting to get too hot for me.

The good thing is, quantity mixed with other ingredients can make up for low or high scoville units. The higher the scoville unit the less you will need. Maybe it's more a business decision than a scoville unit decision?

I've never purchased it like that, but it sounds like your in the right area with the 40k. Most Scoville index charts put cayenne pepper at 30k-50k.

One other thing I'd mention is, remember the ladies. There are a lot of female judges and their palates are a bit different than male palates in regards to heat and sweet.

With only one teaspoon in 6 cups i would think you'd be safe with any of them. Make sure you add enough salt to carry the flavor.

Last edited:
I took a look at Penzey's website. Their cayenne is at 40k. I think I used about a tablespoon for a cup of rub I used for ribs last week. It had a kick, not too much, but it was present. My wife even liked it, and she's not shy about how things taste. I can't imagine trying to use a higher number for a rub. Chili maybe. I've missed the boat a couple of times, too. Once you put it in, that's it. It would suck to make 6 cups and have it so hot you can't enjoy what you're eating. Just my .02.

Back