I got my Oakridge Crucible Rub today!

Gnarlbecue

Take a breath!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dumpster Fire BBQ
The mailman surprised me today with my latest Oakridge order! I got the limited edition Crucible Ghost Chili rub and a VIP sampler pack, and I restocked on the Game Bird and Chicken rub I've been using a lot lately.

My collection is now complete; I have my first sample of the Black Ops rub which is the only one of the 9 rubs I haven't tried yet.

And apparently, I'm one of the first to get the new Crucible rub in the mail, because no one else has posted a review yet.

Now, I haven't actually cooked with it yet but I immediately took a pinch in my finger and took the plunge. I had to say an emphatic "DAYUM, that's hot!" after that. It comes on faster than the HDD, and it's a sharper and more intense heat than Habanero. Think Cayenne or New Mexico chili peppers as far as the quality of the heat.

I didn't have any Q to put it on, so I cheated and nuked one of those Costco Chicken Bakes. Sliced it open lengthwise and shook about a 1/2 teaspoon of the Crucible rub in there and sealed it back up. Came back a couple minutes later and took a few bites.

I was very surprised at how much the other ingredients came forward in the mix. Once it's on food, it takes on a strong garlicky, savory profile that will be very familiar to Oakridge fans. The heat was strong, but not overpowering. The heat grows in intensity with each bite, and I get the impression that with more practice, I can dial in the level of pain that I desire.

Overall I really enjoyed this first test of the new rub. I've decided that I'm going to make some Crucible Wings on New Years, with a side by side comparison to the Habanero Death Wings. I also need to get some kind of beef going, so I can play with the Black Ops.

I think this will be my first proper cook on my new (to me) WSM.

If you really like hot stuff, run over to the Oakridge website and see if you can get some of the Crucible rub before it runs out.

Thanks again Mike for an awesome assortment of rubs. I now have 9 shaker bottles full of all your stuff and I love them all!

Thanks for the review, Gnarl!

I just tried the HDD alone, and along with my standard SPPOG+Cayenne on wings tonight.

I look forward to your New Year's experiment!

Got mine yesterday as well, but only got a chance to taste it straight up. Yup, it's hot, but there is a balance of other flavors in the background which still find a way to come through.

I'm the proud owner of limited edition bag #25. Too bad it wasn't signed by Mike, as I would have then stored it for a few decades and took it on the BBQ Antiques Roadshow to find out how much the value appreciated
icon_money.gif

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to hear more reviews as y'all really start to play with this new rub... :becky:

Got mine today. Finger taste test says WOW this is spicy stuff! But great background flavors. Can't wait to try it on some que. Maybe this weekend.

LOL!!!

I love that everybody is doing the same dang thing I did when I got mine in the mail today!:laugh::laugh:

After my initial taste....and recovery. I found myself dreaming of ribs dusted with this stuff and then glazed with some Texas Pepper jelly pineapple habanero or some rib candy....... or Captain Rodney's boucan glaze. Yep, this stuff shall be used soon!!!

Back