It is the thought that counts...

Desert Dweller

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I came home from shopping today to find what's here on the porch. One of the guys who had gone on that 2.5 day cycle ride and had come to my house for dinner of Pulled Pork, Ribs and appetizers a week later had gone yard saleing with his wife today, found this ECB, a brand new Chimney Starter, three bags of Kingsford for 5 bucks. So he brought it to my place and left a pleading comment with the kids. "Tell your Dad we want some more ABT's!"

I would not have used it, so I passed it on to a neighbor who had expressed an interest in starting out at the bottom. I could not see him going any lower...

Attachments

• disneyland 041.jpg
    disneyland 041.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 162
  • disneyland 042.jpg
    disneyland 042.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 162
It's kinda like being a kid, busting into that big present and inside is a sweater.:shock:

Are you sure that you don't want it ,Bo? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

The ECB is about at the botom but they will produce some good food if the cook does some TLC.

It's kinda like being a kid, busting into that big present and inside is a sweater.:shock:
file.php

I almost hate to admit it, but thats the exact smoker that got Me into BBQ! :mrgreen:
I allways liked eating BBQ and wanted to learn to cook it Myself. I saw an ECB on the shelf at the store for CHEAP and figured I'd give it a shot.

It didnt take long to figure out that it was junk.
I gave it away and got a Cookshack electric smoker.
Then I bought a cheap off set to go with it.
Then I sold the Cookshack and bought a BDS.
Then I gave the offset to a neighbor and got a BGE.

So now, 5 years later, I have a BGE and a drum.
And I owe it all to an ECB :lol:

I had one of those for a couple of weeks, gave it to my brother in law about a year and a half ago, he still hasn't used it and while this normally would inferiorate me with that smoker I don't really care.

Now, You Know, A Brethren Could Make That Smoker Turn Out Some Fine Que!!!!:biggrin: All I'm Saying Is, Where's There A Will, There's A Way.......:biggrin:

I think you have quite a friend. The fact that he thought of you should be quite a nice feeling. The best brisket I've ever done was on the first smoker I ever had. An ECB. With a few mods it would make an excellent MOINK Ball or ABT smoker.

I would not have given away a gift that had that much caring and thought behind it.

First rack of ribs I ever did was on one of them. It turned out just fine, well, as fine as a novice could do I guess. But like Matt said, "It's the smoker that got me into BBQ.."

Hopefully the guy I turned it over to will feel the same and give it a serious go. He called tonight after we did a drive by and dumped it on his porch, along with a couple slices of Prime Rib I did on the WSM. He seems jazzed at the possibilities!

I think you have quite a friend. The fact that he thought of you should be quite a nice feeling. The best brisket I've ever done was on the first smoker I ever had. An ECB. With a few mods it would make an excellent MOINK Ball or ABT smoker.

I would not have given away a gift that had that much caring and thought behind it.

I checked with the guy who gave it to me, calling him of course to say thanks and to let him know he has some ABT's coming. He said he paid 5 bucks for the package, and bought it as a joke, so he had no problem with me turning it over to someone who could learn fromo it...

I checked with the guy who gave it to me, calling him of course to say thanks and to let him know he has some ABT's coming. He said he paid 5 bucks for the package, and bought it as a joke, so he had no problem with me turning it over to someone who could learn fromo it...

That additional information sure changes the story. In that case, you done good.

I also did my first cook on a unit just like that one. My father in law was cleaning out his garage and threw it in the back of my truck. Weeks went by before he started razzing me about never using his gift. So, with a little internet searchin and alot of beer I produced my first beer can chicken. I remember is was very hard keeping the temp in the "ideal" range. None the less, with my first bite of very tough chicken I was hooked. I still have the ECB. It sits next to the gasser that never gets any use.

My first smoker was an ECB charcoal rig. I did a couple things on it but never really got too good with it. Then I graduated to an All-In-One ECB which is propane fired as well as charcoal. I got to turning out some really good Que with it. Some real bad too. :smile: Mind you I did no mods and had to babysit the thing to keep the temps right but it worked and taught me a lot about smoking food. I still have the All-In-One and one day I will donate it to a fledgling farker in need.

Tell your friend to put a small piece of expanded metal in the firebox(bowl) so the coals don't smother themselves out, and don't try to overload it with charcoal and he can make some nice Q. I still have one that I take to comps to cook chicken on.:cool:

I started with a ECB and made some kickass BBQ and then it fell apart....oh well so I got a spicewine

I have to admit it also, that was my first smoker as well... for what it costs, it does turn out some good "Q".

A nice beginner "toy" in my opinion for someone that isn't sure if they will do a lot of "q'n". Would I do it again, yes....

i have the older version. was ok. then i did the mods and it was better. turned out some good stuff and it helped me "learn". so its part of the family and will always stay with me. also still do a cook once in awhile just for 'ole times sake.

I still cook on my ECB and love it. I would have been all over that $5 deal like a fly on chit. A few mods and that is a fine little smoker.

Back