Turn-in Box Measurements

S

SmokeInDaEye

Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of a standard KCBS turn-in box, specifically the length of the smaller bottom and top portion and the length of the larger middle?

Yes, it's an odd question, but I recall someone here had a great "mock" box created out of tape on the back of a platter and uses it for practicing turnin layouts (or that's what I figured!). I'd love to try it but can't find a stupid box to measure!

Militant Squatter had some from GK, last I heard, that might be measurable.

I think the standard is the 9" x 9" non-divided clam shell styrofoam boxes.

I think the standard is the 9" x 9" non-divided clam shell styrofoam boxes.

Thanks. But 9x9 is the measurement at the largest part, no? The bottom and top square in a standard turn in box in smaller than the middle of the clamshell.

What I'm really wondering is when you have the clamshell open, what is the length and width of the small square at the bottom, and what is the length and width at the largest lart of the box, the middle.

The "bottom" of the box is 6 1/4" X 6 1/4", the "top" of the box is 8 1/2" Wide(left to right) X 8" Deep(front to back)........the useless information that fills my head

Just go to a restaurant supply and get a sleeve of them. They are handy anyway.

thats what we did. every time we do a practice cook we do the turnins to.

We've seen them different at each contest. Yes, they are 9x9, but they can have slightly different lids and bottoms. Some are deeper at the bottom. Some are shallow at the top. Some slope in more at the top. At the GAB this year, there were two different style boxes... both 9x9.

KCBS boxes can be 8x8 or 9x9. At the GAB some teams were given 8x8 boxes and other teams were given 9x9 boxes. It didn't seem fair, but that's what they did.

KCBS boxes can be 8x8 or 9x9. At the GAB some teams were given 8x8 boxes and other teams were given 9x9 boxes. It didn't seem fair, but that's what they did.

Thanks for clarifying, John.

The "bottom" of the box is 6 1/4" X 6 1/4", the "top" of the box is 8 1/2" Wide(left to right) X 8" Deep(front to back)........the useless information that fills my head

Thanks for draining your main brain, Sled. I love the idea of a fake box taped out on a cutting board. Will take pix once its done and that's again to whoever came up with the concept...

Just go to a restaurant supply and get a sleeve of them. They are handy anyway.

I agree with Greg... cheap enough to just buy some. You can probably even wash them off after each use or just line them with plastic wrap and the bottom to keep them clean to practice with.

Dumb question but do the contests always provide the boxes?

KCBS contests do provide them.

I'd imagine most of the other sanctioned contests by other organizations do as well....

Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of a standard KCBS turn-in box, specifically the length of the smaller bottom and top portion and the length of the larger middle?

Yes, it's an odd question, but I recall someone here had a great "mock" box created out of tape on the back of a platter and uses it for practicing turnin layouts (or that's what I figured!). I'd love to try it but can't find a stupid box to measure!

The pic was mine.
China marker lines on the back of a 75 cent plastic serving platter.
Plenty close enough for practice for me. I was fussing with Cornish Hens at the time--failed that challenge :oops:

I have a box in front of me from a KCBS event--8 3/8 at the top, and 6 at the bottom.
At least for this one :lol:

They do seem to vary.
Just get a basic layout that you like and adjust on site.
Easy Peasey :lol:

Good Luck.

TIM

They do seem to vary.

This is a good tip. We have a couple of rib layouts that we like. Which one we use depends on size of the ribs and size of the box: ribs stacked, ribs across, ribs up-down, ribs diagnal, etc. Point is, we aren't trying to figure it out once we have a mess of ribs in front of us. We lay them out, eyeball it, and go to plan B, C or D if necessary.

We lay them out, eyeball it, and go to plan B, C or D if necessary.

That's the way it is!

Twice this last weekend-- Brent and I had "presentation challenges".
I used the phrase, "Presentation 101" and we "winged it!" :oops:
I should have said, "Salvage 101"! :oops:

Stay flexible guys and gals--fine tune it up on the spot !
We still did not do great--but we may have salvaged some points---espacially in brisket ! :lol:

TIM

The pic was mine.
China marker lines on the back of a 75 cent plastic serving platter.
Plenty close enough for practice for me. I was fussing with Cornish Hens at the time--failed that challenge :oops:

I have a box in front of me from a KCBS event--8 3/8 at the top, and 6 at the bottom.
At least for this one :lol:

They do seem to vary.

Good Luck.

TIM

I thought it was you, Tim. The picture was stuck in my mind and I wanted to try it myself. Thank you, Sir!

Why worry bout all that ,I just put as much of my turn in product in as neatly as possible , I never have seen the use in all the fancy green stuff being used ,would rather be judged on my turn in product than how pretty it look`s with just the right greens. Its a watse of food , thats just my humble opinion.

Why worry bout all that ,I just put as much of my turn in product in as neatly as possible , I never have seen the use in all the fancy green stuff being used ,would rather be judged on my turn in product than how pretty it look`s with just the right greens. Its a watse of food , thats just my humble opinion.

If you ever get a chance you should try to take the KCBS judging class. It would be an eye openers to say the least.

Back