What is the best lump charcoal out there?

S

So Cal EGGhead

I realize this is an open ended question that may get a ton of replies, I am just looking for the good stuff.

I have tried Cowboy, Ono, BGE and The Good One. I found significant differences between them and was happy with just two.

Just thought I'd ask the experts!

I like Royal Oak, but it really depends on what you are wanting to do. Some last longer, some burn hotter, etc... Check out the naked whiz website for comprehensive review of various brands of lump charcoal.

Don't think there is a best, but if a name is anything Wicked Good Lump wins!
It's all I use so not a lot of experience with other brands.

According to the Naked Whiz, Wegman's brand lump is made by RO. That's what I have been using. It's $5.69 for a 10lb. bag which is a little cheaper than RO.

I love Royal Oak and I have tried Frontier and Cowboy brand as well

i started with kingsford, who didn't(just admit it guys), and then went right to wicked good. a little pricey and a long drive to get, so tried royal oak. almost just as good if not as good. was very pleased. then saw stubbs briquettes on sale at lowes. tried them. now here is where what you are trying to do with your cook comes into play and is a factor in the fuel you use. stubbs flavor was good, light was good, ash was good, BUT, i was doing a HH brisket in my WSM 22 and could bot get the temp up STEADY. with RO or WGC i KNOW i can get that temp up high.
so, as a summary...
WGC-very high end, no messin'
RO-very close to wgc, hard to tell diff really
move to briquettes-whole other story.

i really like RO for price and quality.

RO is the best readily available option for me in LA (lower alabama).

Depends on what you can get. I use Cowboy cause I can buy it. Really don't like to drive 36 miles RT to find RO.

According to the Naked Whiz, Wegman's brand lump is made by RO. That's what I have been using. It's $5.69 for a 10lb. bag which is a little cheaper than RO.

Using the same here. Easy to get and not too pricey. I've seen some others on sale around here that I may check out just to compare.

I've had great luck with fireking. Humphrey's Natural is maybe even
better. Royal Oak seems to be about the best (regarding quality vs.
price) that I can reliably get hereabouts.

Back