jealous devil lump

Tkruse

Knows what a fatty is.
I just tried jealous devil lump charcoal for the first time and it worked great for grilling. Question for the members. What's everyone's opinion on using them in a smoker? I'm a little concerned that they might burn to hot in my WSM to keep temps between 225-250. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I use the XL briquettes in my kettle grill and run 250 degrees on briskets with no issues.

Jealous Devil is my favorite lump charcoal. But I always had better results with briquettes in the WSM than lump. It might just be me though.

Based on people’s feedback, I went to the homedepot and picked up 2 bags. Let’s see how it compares to the Fogo, B&B, Blue Hogs, and Royal Oak. I use the lump charcoal as a base layer in my 22” WSM along with wood chunks.

Next cooker I have on order is a Shirley Fab traditional cabinet reverse flow. That’s going to be a learning curve after 13 years of mastery on the WSM that’s closer to a set it and forget it once the temp probes and blower are hooked in.

I'd put jealous devil an fogo in the same category...B&B and Blues hogs close 2nd and Royal oak 3rd. I was growing tired of finding things other than lump charcoal in my RO bags.

I pretty much run Kingsford but like to have a bag or two of premium lump around as well.

I bought 8 bags of the B&B briquettes when Acadamy had them on sale. Big mistake. Take forever to light and give off lots of stinky smoke while doing so.
Sorry for the hijack!

I'd put jealous devil an fogo in the same category...B&B and Blues hogs close 2nd and Royal oak 3rd. I was growing tired of finding things other than lump charcoal in my RO bags.

I pretty much run Kingsford but like to have a bag or two of premium lump around as well.

You are 100% correct on finding things in the RO bags. I end up with rocks and other items in the ash pan after my cooks. I have found other weird items as well. Never had that issue with Fogo or other premium brands.

Jealous Devil has been my go-to for a while. I bought some Lumber Jack on eBay because Naked Whiz gave it the highest score in the site's history. I haven't used it yet and their website doesn't work. And, last time I checked their Facebook page, they only posted about Russia/Ukraine.

Back