Too Much Fat On IBP Briskets???

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok I know that briskets wre inherently fatty, but I have noticed lately on IBP briskets(which seem to dominate the brisket market here) That I am cutting away about half the weight of the brisket when trimming, and that is with leaving about a 1/4" fat cap. When I do find other brands like Excel or Swift, I have noticed that the fat left by the packer is not nearly as thick.

Anybody else noticed?

Yes, no real data, but, I prefer not to buy IBP packers for that reason, just too much fat. Plus, makes it hard to see the meat. I much prefer Excel, or whatever the brand is that I get at Cash and Carry.

Agree about the fat content of IBP but I have gotten pretty good briskets from them. Just hate to waste 30% to fat.

Agree about the fat content of IBP but I have gotten pretty good briskets from them. Just hate to waste 30% to fat.

After some of the ones I've trimmed lately I'd be glad to see only a 30% fat trim loss. Maybe that's how IBP sells a slightly cheaper brisket.

just started seeing these in my area. Got lucky for some IBP Choice marked Select by the grocery store for $2.18/lb so i won't complain about fat loss. Especially since i will just use these for practice.

It seems that all of the AG stores started carrying these briskets about the same time. AG must be getting a bulk deal.

Our Sam's has recently been stocking packers at 2.48/lb. They are marked USDA Choice and say Angus Beef on the package. I noticed the box the butcher had them in was an IBP box.

Back