Not strictly BBQ: Dry-curing a ham Jamon Iberico style

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Hello folks

I know this is sort of off topic however I thought I'd throw it out there as a lot of people on this forum are foodies. Has anyone tried to make a ham in a similar fashion to jamon iberico or even prosciutto?

Thanks
Sam

It would be kinda hard to find that type of pork in the U.S. If you did find it I think they are fatten on acorns, . But there are some place that have acorn feed hogs

I think that few of us have actually made a real salt-cured ham. For me, I just do not have the resources and room to hang a pig leg in my house or garage.

Hi Sam,

Never done it myself but quite a few people in my family have, I'll post some general instructions and safety tips when I get home tonight if you like. The most important thing is to ensure the salt completely permeates and covers all surfaces - far easier without the bone in.

Yeah, haven't done a whole ham, but done pancetta type cure before... turned out great.

A whole ham and prosciutto is on my list to try soon (hopefully I can start it within the next week) but it will be a complete trial and error... I haven't made anything that was inedible or sent me to the hospital yet... :laugh:

Maybe Thirdeye has and will chime in???

Back