Shirley grill in main chamber?

South Butte Slim

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello how many shirley owners have and use their ashpan and charcoal grate in the main chamber? What do you think? Do you ever wish you had a seperate grill on the trailer instead, so you could smoke and grill at the same time? Thanks SBS

Hello how many shirley owners have and use their ashpan and charcoal grate in the main chamber? What do you think? Do you ever wish you had a seperate grill on the trailer instead, so you could smoke and grill at the same time? Thanks SBS

Just to be clear... We have an option where you can get a pan broke that comes with an elevated grate that goes in the pan for the main chamber.... The bottom rack slides out and you replace it with the charcoal pan and elevated grate in the pan..... This allows you to use the main chamber as a grill and not get ash all on your baffle plate... I works great if you want your main chamber to double as a grill....

Won't have mine till next year but I am getting that option.

Thanks Paul that is what i was referring to. I am wondering whether the grill/ash pan in the main chamber or a seperate grill on the trailer is a better option. Most of the time it will be one or the other-direct cook or smoking though sometimes it would be helpful to have both options as some of my cooks involve both. Was hoping to hear from some Shirley owners on whether they put that grill/ashpan option in the main chamber to use.

How's the foot, Jimmy?

Pretty good Ted. never really was able to give it proper rest with having to construct the steel buidling I'm in he middle of on the weekends and having busy weeks with the fiance but all in all well.

Thanks for asking. I know one thing I WON'T ever do again. Yank that damn wood crate lol.

It's an incredibly good looking rig. I hope you're still cooking on it in 50 years

I have the grill separate. I love it. I always seem to be grilling something quick as an appetizer while people are waiting on me to finish the meat on the smoker.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 164
It's an incredibly good looking rig. I hope you're still cooking on it in 50 years

Thanks man I hope SOMEONE is. I most likely won't be here at that time. My kids if I have any will hopefully take the healm after I'm gone.

I've done a couple of cooks for the church in the main chamber. I used the bottom shelf for the coals and put aluminum foil on the plate. Now my bottom shelf is a little tweaked but I hardly ever take it out so it doesn't bother me.

Back