Question about freezing Pulled Pork.

ShortEnd

Reaction score
Smoking a pork butt today, to be served for a famiy gathering next weekend. I'm going to vacuum seal, freeze and reheat in a crock pot. Is it best to add the finishing sauce prior to sealing, or would it be best to add it when I reheat it?

Thanks

before

My choice is add before freezing. Works best for me.

Just sayin.

Well there ya go, one for each. I guess the bottom line is that is doesn't matter.:thumb:

LOL I am going to add a twist! Neither.... Being diabetic I leave to the side for us sugar impaired. Maybe have a few sauces and let the people choose. Have tooth picks on side as well for people to sample to see if they like it before they pour it on and waste a good sammich only to grab another with a different sauce.

Thanks for the replies. My favorite finishing sauce consists of 1/3 Blues Hog Regular, 1/3 Blues Hog Tennessee Red and 1/3 chilled gelatinous foiling juice with the fat removed and a little apple juice, if it still seems a bit dry. Most of the family has had my pulled pork and thinks it's "the berries". They are all enviously healthy. No diabetic's, no high cholesteral levels, all normal or slightly low blood pressure, including in-laws. What are the chances of that bit of luck? I'm guessing my solution will be to add it when I reheat, since my experience has been that frozen pulled pork will tend to be a bit dry when reheating and will still usually need a little miosture added, even if only apple juice. It should also vacuum pack more reliably without the added sauce. I've done it both ways before and just wanted to see what others were doing.

Ashmont, your point is very well taken. I never gave that any consideration before. I will certainly use your recommendation when prepairing for folks that I'm not familiar with in the future. Thank you.

I am diabetic also and used Splenda for a long time for mine and others, switched to Stevia and most people don't know there's no sugar in my sauces or mops. It works well in the rubs also.

Cooling hot bbq before packaging in vacuum sealer is IMPORTANT. Put the PP in a plastic bag and hold in a ice bath/ ice and water/ until cooled. Then and only then you can vacuum seal and refrigerate or freeze. Sealing hot food is a disaster waiting to happen.

Back