Whole Pork Shoulder - Skin Off or On?

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm picking up a whole shoulder tonight (butt + picnic, about 16-20 lbs.). I told 'em I wanted it bone in and skin on. I was thinking about leaving the skin on just to check it out, but I do love me some bark, which I will not be getting with the skin on. Is there any advantage to leaving the skin on other than satisfying my curiosity?

I'll be cooking around 225-250 in an offset using hickory. I've done many butts :shock: but they've been trimmed, so my only question is about the skin. I know great things can happen with the skin with higher and more direct heat, but is skin just a throwaway after a low & slow?

Thanks!

Interestingly enough, I am also cooking a whole shoulder this evening (or tomorrow). :thumb:

I always leave skin on, I think it helps to hold the porky juiciness in.
Skin will be one one side of shoulder only. Put the skin up, until half way through the cook, then put skin down.

Skin will come right off when all fat and connective tissues has rendered.

You still get bark, just not 360 degree bark.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Sound great - thanks!

I have a feeling that SirPorkaLot from NC would know a thing or 3 about cooking some pig. :thumb:

Is the skin good for anything after the cook?

Sometimes the skin can be finished off over high heat and turned into cracklin. Or, it can be chopped up and added at the beginning to a pot of beans for some great flavor.

Bob

• Thanks
I think I'll follow SirPorkaLot's suggestion & then as Bob says hit the skin with some high heat at the end - fark - I can't wait. Haven't had pulled pork in a little while & it's definitely my favorite bbq. Thanks y'all!

either way work great , But if you do decide to take it off save it for a wrap sucjh as pork loin or deer roast

• Thanks
I cut my last one off, have left them on before. With the skin on it MIGHT be a little more juicy, but I doubt it's significant difference. I love the bark of my pork, and you sacrifice some of it when you leave the skin on, so I take it off now.

Personal preference, be careful when you cut it off to leave as much fat as possible

• Thanks
I've only done one picnic roast (usually stick to 8 lb butts) But the 9 lb picnic turned out fantastic.

I peeled skin before cooking, and made home made pork rinds out of the skin. It was a nice treat, fried in a combo of EVOO, and sesame oil.

The leftover hunk o meat looked like this:

Picnic007.jpg

Picnic009.jpg

Back