Thermometer alternative

Look very similar to the BGE one. I don't have one for comparison.

IRT.jpg

I have the Taylor 9305 Dual Temperature Thermocouple and Infrared Thermometer been very happy with it. I got it at Ace Mart for around $ 69.00.

Attachments

• 9305.gif
    9305.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 364
I am interested in the Extech because of the 1 second response time, and well, I haven't gotten around to ordering a thermapen.
My Polder takes 6-8 seconds and this one is even faster than the thermapen, plus 1/2 the price.

Looks like a great product Mike. Theres only 1 reveiw but he says somethings are better than the Thermopen. Good find.

Dan

JamesB actually found and posted on another forum...I am trying to get the company to send me one to review, but if not I will purchase and report back.

Bump.

Just curious, any more update or feedback on these?

If it had a one second response time, us Superfast BLUE Thermopen users would be all over it!

Also like that is uses a AAA battery instead of the little one the thermapen uses!

NO, i went and bought one....took it back. It refreshes every second, but it takes 8-10 seconds to reach the final temp.

I bought a refrubed Thermapen yesterday.

I use the taylor the one u get at Lowes work good for me. Anymore I hardly use the probe type I can about tell when to pull by using the tooth pick

I use the taylor the one u get at Lowes work good for me. Anymore I hardly use the probe type I can about tell when to pull by using the tooth pick
I'm doing the same these days:biggrin:

Rely on Thermometer, rarely do I neither. Done meat vibarations in the Force does make.

http://www.comarkusa.com/product.tpl?product_id=164

I have one of these in addition to my Thermapen IR and probe combo. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irk.html

It is only $20 and definitely faster than anything else in that price range. I would say three or four seconds on average. It is not as long as a thermapen so for large cuts it is not the best choice. It does a have hold button though so you can don't have to worry about getting in side your cooker in such a way that you can read it in the meat.

I still love my IR, but mainly for checking the temp of cast iron pans before I through my food in. I usually oil the food and not the pan with the Cast Iron so that I can get it really hot.

I bought into it and am dissapointed. My el cheapo chef dial pocket therm went from room temp (84) to iced glass of water (33) in half the time! 15 seconds for cheap dial and 32 for this item. Bummer.
As they say if it seems to good to be true then it probably is.

PS: I added comments on Amazon page to hopefully stop others from making same mistake.

Oh I am sure I could but the hassle of re-packing and shipping. I might make a call to see how it might work. I looked at other sites on the web and the same one second claim shows up. I tried to find a contact email address for manufacturer so I could bend thier ear, but only find sellers of the unit.

Where did you get the re-furbed Thermo Pen?

From thermoworks.com...called them up. See if they have any in.

I tried working directly with Extech, to send me a model for evaluation, etc...did not get much support, so I finally went and bought one, to see...obviously took it back.

Back