Need Advice Waring Pro Slicer FS150

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
It is on Amazon for $76.00 after rebate. The reviews do not sound good.. What do you think? I have been looking for one to make homemade cuts instead of $8.00 lb sliced cuts...

My wife got me that one for Xmas at Linen's & Thing's close out, it was around 65 bucks or so she said.

I used it the other day for the first time to slice the left over prime rib up for sandwiches.

The blade is small, so you can not cut really large items, but it is cool how the blade pulls completely off to clean. You just turn a tab in the middle and it lifts out of the gears. The motor is a little underpowered, but it did slice the roast in nice thin slices and the slice adjsutment were pretty good. The thing did want to walk on me when I was slicing and the slide was not that smooth. Like everything, it is about technique. Clean up was not too bad and I have all my fingers at the end of the job.

It will work for light slicing uses around the house. I used to work in the meat department, so it is a joke compaired to a hobart. But $65 or $75 compaired to several thousand dollars what do you expect.

I will use it to slice lunch meat, brisket, roast beef ect.

Marty,
I have one and don't like it. Too small, underpowered, etc.....

Go down to Ford Hotel Supply on North Broadway and look around. I bought an imported Italian slicer cheap ($300) and it works great!

Sound advice from the two previous posts. I have a Waring Pro Grinder and the quality is very nice. I guess it all depends on what you want to do and how often your going to use it. Though quality is a see-saw of its own, its always a balance.

Thanks! I was a little concerned after the reviews I saw on that slicer. Still haven't narrowed it down yet. I was amazed at what my wife was paying for cold cuts. Then seeing the the prices at Restaurant Depot. There was an easily $7.00 per lbs savings. WTF. I have 3 kids and come to tellya when school is in were making 6 sandwiches a day. Bread and Milk scream outta our house. I can see the cost savings here could pay for a slicer within a year. Shhhh dont tell Mr. Ashmont yet!!!:shock: I was thinking getting the slicer soon and going out and getting a ham,, turkey breast and roast beast. Slicing the up completely and vacuum seal them in one week bags and freezing. Does anybody else do this? Or am I outta my mind (Dont answer that....)

I've had one like that for a couple of years. Cut up a lot of meat and it still works fine. Like other's have said it's a little underpowered, but for the money it's ok.

Marty, don't waste your money. It's a piece of junk. One of those negative reviews you read was mine. I ended up giving mine away. It's no better than a bread knife and much more difficult to clean.

dmp

I have a commercial Hobart in my garage that you can keep at your house if want and have the room. All I ask is that I be allowed to use it any time I want with notice and take it with me when I move. Gimme a call.

dmp

Yes Not getting that one for sure. Going Monday to Ford Like Jeff suggested. I just cant see $8-$9 per lb for something I can to for $2-$3...

Ive got one, and the only problem I've run into is the feet don't hold too well for long cuttting sessions. I've never had a problem with it riding up. Most I have ever done on it was one whole ham (cut into two halves due to blade size), a 10 pound salami and a 10 pound bologna.

I guess there is one other downside, you can't get real thin deli-thin. You can get thin, but not like the Hobarts.

I have bought 3 different slicers for my business and rather than give you a specific brand I'll just say get the largest with the most power that you can afford and you won't be sorry.
You'll find out that the more you use a slicer the more you'll want one that has more power. Plus the first one I bought burned out after a month of daily usage. So now I have two more expensive models.:lol:

A few Brethren suggested the Chefs Choice 610, listening to them and a few reviews I bought one a couple weks ago...

http://www.compactappliance.com/610...chen_Housewares-Kitchen_Electrics-Food_Slicer

Only time will tell, but I have sliced left over rib roast, tri-tip, homemade bacon and tonight Gallo salami from Smart & Final that was $3.50/lb compared to the $6.50/lb at Vons. I am very happy with it so far, very easy clean up and all metal, not plastic like I was expecting for $100.

I like it!

I am picking this one up from my mom's house tomorrow. Its my Christmas present, but she couldn't fit it in her car when she came down to Wichita. So of to KC I go.
Its a Chef's Choice and I have heard good things, except its a pain to clean, but if it works I am ok with that.
s7_517629_renderset_02

Back